Good thing I gave myself an out in Saturday's post, because I didn't actually complete Othello's pumpkin hat until this morning. More on that in a second, but first, here it is, in all it's...glory. Yeah, that's it, glory.
I would have had this completed much earlier, had it not been for my unwillingness to let go and "wing it" when I discovered I'd made a small error on the decreases -- I'd done two right-leaning decreases in a row, rather than alternating left- and right-leaning ones. Or vice versa. I dunno.
Anyhoo. I felt the need to tink back a few rows and to correct the error. Big, big mistake. Tinking is not my thing. I mean, I can tink a few stitches, no problem. But more than a row (or round, in this case), and all Hell breaks loose. That's all I'm saying. And no, I didn't take pictures.
Long story short, I ended frogging the whole bloody thing yesterday and starting from scratch. I'm still not thrilled with the decreases (I think next time I'll just use the Harlot's "Type A" method from Knitting Rules), but I am satisfied. And Othello's mum seems pleased. With a little luck I'll have a photo of him modelling the hat to share with you soon.
Pattern: Pumpkin Hat by Susan Esser. However, I substituted the curly vine from Crazy Aunt Purl's Reversible Knit Halloween Beanie for the leaf in Esser's pattern.
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Wool. Almost a full skein of Squash (533), plus a wee bit of Basil (532).