Friday, February 4, 2011

Finished Object Friday: Turn a Square Hat

Talk about your bandwagon knitting. May I present my contribution to the 7,915 Turn a Square Hat projects in the Ravelry database:

Turn a Square

Like my lovely new model? I picked her up on Monday at Dressew, Vancouver’s ginormous fabric-notions/tacky costumes-and-a-bit-of-yarn shop, which was having a 50% off everything sale to celebrate its 50th anniversary. She needs a name; suggestions are welcomed.

And no, I didn’t buy any yarn. I remain firmly seated on the yarn diet wagon. Miracles do happen, piglets.

This pattern wasn’t really on my 2011 agenda; it was more of a spur-of-the-moment thing. Sometimes those are the best projects, no? My pal beentsy had recently finished one, and I was intrigued by the double-decrease crown shaping (that’d be the square you’re turning):

Turn a Square

It’s awesomesauce, dudes. I think I’m going to use it a lot – with or without the stripes.

As for the stripes…I think I might have goofed with the jogless stripe technique, whereby you knit the first stitch of the second round of the new colour together with the stitch below it (in the old colour). It’s supposed to make the joins ‘virtually invisible’, but…

Turn a Square

I’m not entirely satisfied. Is it supposed to look like this – one super-tall stitch of the new colour at the join?

Turn a Square

I should point out that I haven’t blocked the hat yet, so that might help. But if I’m missing something obvious, please let me know.

All in all, I love this hat, and it is definitely staying with Piggy – no gifting of this one!

Project Details:

Pattern: Turn a Square by Jared Flood (Rav link)
Yarn: Cascade 220 in unidentified charcoal (label long gone): 59.4 yards; Noro Kureyon, colourway 229: 44 yards
Needles: 3.75mm/US 5 & 4.5mm/US 7
Modifications: None. Well, I maybe knit a smidge more ribbing than called for.
Comments: The man’s a genius. And I am a Noro Whoro.

6 comments:

  1. Contracts on sticking to your yarn diet! The willpower!

    I have a feeling that your jogless striping isn't supposed to look like that because that doesn't look very jogless to me. But as i've never attempted the technique, i'm hardly the expert. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I likes :) I have not yet succumbed to that pattern, I'm always a little wary bout knitting something everyone else already has but if it looks so nice, no problem :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd call her Blanche. She's pretty pale ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I did the "jogless" technique for that pattern, that's exactly how it turned out for me. I agree it's not entirely seamless, but I think it is better than the alternative! (Either that or I did it wrong as well... entirely possible!)

    ReplyDelete