Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Too much is never enough

Anyone visiting chez Piggy at the beginning of August might be forgiven for having contemplated a phone call to the producers of Hoarders. There wasn’t exactly a whole lot of room to manoeuvre.

But really, there was no cause for concern; not in terms of fire hazards or filth, anyway. I was, you see, reorganizing my stash. I started by dumping it all out on the floor…

stash on floor 31-07-10 - spelling it out

...then arranged everything by weight, rather than the aesthetically-pleasing-but-not-particularly-practical method of sorting by colour.

Inspired by Plae's recent cleaning-up-the-apartment videos, I shot a craptastically grainy one of my own at about 1 a.m. after I finished the job.


The end result: an unnecessary confirmation that I could stash for Canada. Although it’s really much worse than that: at my rate of production, I think I’m well beyond S.A.B.L.E.* status. Forget life expectancy; we’re talking S.A.F.E.R. status – Stash Adequate For Eternal Reincarnation.

Of course, this unsettling realization did nothing to prevent me from accumulating yet more yarn last weekend:

Happy Birthday Kristina & Petit Poison nr 5 dark - label view
Wollmeise 100% Merino, in Happy Birthday Kristina & Petit Poison Nr. 5 Dark

These beauties came from wenat's stash; inexplicably, she wanted to be rid of them. I volunteered to buy the Happy Birthday Kristina, and when we met on Friday for the exchange, Gladys surprised me by making the Petit Poison Nr. 5 a gift. I think my jaw might have hit the floor, and rested there a wee while. My mum didn't raise a complete monster, so I did protest once or twice, but really, there's only so many times one can refuse Wollmeise, right? Many thanks again, Gladys!

Hand Maiden Lace Silk - Smoke
Handmaiden Lace Silk in Smoke

Now this little number – 900 metres (984 yards) of 100 per cent silk – was a surprise, too. I was debating between a skein of this in a gorgeous purple shade and four skeins of Mochi Plus in pretty purples and greens. My shopping mates, MrsQuimby and beentsy, weren’t much help: they didn’t agree, meaning I needed to break the tie, which just put me back to the beginning again.

I was about to walk away with nothing, when I practically threw this skein at the cash. I had admired it earlier, and although I tend to avoid neutral colours, something about this one won me over.

I made another yarn purchase on Saturday, but more on that next time.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're feeling better! I am suffering from creeping stash as well. The fact that both kids have now moved out means that I have appropriated their closet space (cue sound of husband's puzzled voice: "what is all that YARN doing in here?"). Mmm, love the silk lace. I can just imagine a Portofino shawl with... pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think that there could be worse things to stash. At least they will be used, unlike porcelain dolls or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now at least you have stash control...Wait a minute, I think I just oxymoroned!-smiles-

    ReplyDelete