Sunday, August 15, 2010

Relationship status: it's complicated

Don't get all excited. I'm talking about yarn.

Right. So that other purchase I made last weekend was unexpected, to say the least.

SG258
Noro Silk Garden, 258

It seems I'm down with the K1P1 virus again. And this time, it's the nasty Noro Whoro strain.

I know, I know. I said I'd never knit with Noro again. I'm blaming my shopping companion, the Queen of the Noro Whoros herself. She'll deny it, of course, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

So, on Sunday evening, using one of the skeins above and one of a pair of skeins I bought a while ago, in another moment of temporary insanity, I cast on for the Noro Whoro scarf. And for the first little bit, I was enjoying it. I've always said Mr. Noro is very clever with his colours, and his yarn is very pretty. That's not my issue. I can even live with the occasional gaping 'vegetable matter' wound sustained while knitting.

This is what really bothers me about Noro:

WTF


WTF2


WTF4

Now, I understand the yarn isn't as heavily processed as other yarns, and therefore I should expect to find the weapons of mass abrasion vegetable matter, as well as the odd bit of not-entirely-uniform weight.

Fair enough. And I can even live with the occasional knot; Noro is, after all, quite easy to spit splice. But to go from worsted to super-bulky to fingering weight in a matter of a metre or two is asking a bit much of Piggy's patience. If it were gorgeously soft, maybe. But it just isn't.

(One Whoro at knit night on Monday actually attempted to convince me Silk Garden was softer than Malabrigo. She did this with a straight face, too, the nutter. Sometimes I think the Whoros really are soft in the head, bless them. I mean, really. You don't have to like Malabrigo to accept the plain empirical fact it is softer than Silk Garden.)

Then there's the randomness of the colour changes, which makes the Noro Whoro Scarf a tricky proposition. The two colourways I'm using contain an almost identical shade of green. So a little cutting and spit-splicing was done to prevent a big blur in the fabric, and I had this on Tuesday:

hmm

I was worried. I wasn't loving this. At all. After weighing my options, I decided to press on. I wanted to get all of the Noro out of my stash as quickly as possible, and that meant finishing this scarf a.s.a.p. (Frogging and handing the yarn over to a Whoro would have been quicker, of course, but the stubborn side of Piggy refused to quit.)

And here is where it gets truly exasperating. I kept knitting, and now...

better

...I love it again.

Sigh.



8 comments:

  1. Yep. That's how that works alright. Noro is a beautiful sucking vortex of pretty colours. There is nothing you can do about it. :) The scarf is turning out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours! And just think - your perseverance should bring you just that much more satisfaction, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look nice :) but I don't think I could stand Noro round my neck *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you from your comment on Mrs.Q's blog.
    Now I want to knit one of those Noro Whoro Scarves after seeing both of yours. Enablers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe I did a noro hat and much to my chagrin, it was much softer after washing. Not Malabrigo soft or anything (lol) but I'm thinking maybe next time I'll just was BEFORE knitting. We'll see hwo it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, it IS so soft! it's all silky and soft and squishy and lovely! I totally think it's softer than Mal! (I might... just might... be a nutter!)

    I'm totally dying to knit a noro striped scarfy now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it looks awesome, but you will never convince me it is softer than malibrigo.

    ReplyDelete