Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Piggy + paycheque + fibre festival = a seriously S.A.F.E.R.* stash

...and cereal for dinner for the rest of the month! This is going to be a long one, piggies.

I was on the sunny Sunshine Coast this past weekend for the Gibsons Landing Fibre Arts Festival. When I wasn't in a fabulous workshop (more on that in my next post) or admiring the beautiful work of knitters, crocheters, spinners, weavers, quilters, woodworkers and other fibre artists in the juried exhibit, I was in the merchant mall. Where considerable damage was done to my rather puny bank balance.

Following the premise that confession is good for the soul, I give you the results of the weekend's stash enhancement activities...

First up was a visit to the always-insanely energetic Shannon of Unwind Yarns and Gems, where I picked up four gorgeous skeins:

Blazer Soave
Unwind Yarns Soave Fingering

Mmmmm, cashmere for my tootsies (assuming I actually finish a pair of socks, of course)! Soave is an 80-10-10 blend of superwash merino, cashmere and nylon. I'm usually drawn to darker shades, but this one, Blazer, really called out to me.

OceanCoveMoonshine - BFL
Unwind Yarns Moonshine – handspun Blue-Faced Leicester

Shannon's commercially spun yarns are all named for wine varietals -- Soave, Merlot, Shiraz, Zinfandel, etc. -- so what better name for her handspun than Moonshine? These are in the lovely Ocean Cove colourway.

Shannon was also helping out a fellow Vancouver-area indie dyer, Kirsten from Yummy Yarn, by selling her rovings at the Unwind Yarns booth. Check out this little number:

Yummy Yarn Rambouillet
Yummy Yarns Rambouillet

Erm...no, I still can't spin. That didn't stop me from crossing the aisle to the Knitopia booth, where, after much fondling, I finally decided on these:

Knitopia BFLv
West Coast Fibre Works Blue-Faced Leicester

Isn't is gorgeous? One of my fellow workshop participants was spinning some of it up in the booth; it is truly nommy.

I still have the BFL fibre I bought from Knitopia at last year's festival in my stash...so I'm really going to have to apply myself next month at the World Wide Spinning in Public Day meetup, where several spinning friends have promised to beat it into  help me learn. Fingers crossed, piglets.

My final festival purchase was also the richest:

sprucehavenfarmscashmere
100% Canadian cashmere fingering from Spruce Haven Farms

Hooray for Alberta cashmere goats! This stuff is indescribably soft. It will definitely be used for some kind of cowl. Mine, all mine! :-)

Of course, I didn't actually stop there. The festival ended on Saturday, and on Sunday, I paid a visit to Unwind Knit and Fibre Lounge, where Kim and her mother were unpacking from their festival booth. I scooped up a few skeins before they even made it back to the shelves:

SummerDuskToughLoveSock2
SweetGeorgia Tough Love Sock - Summer Dusk


Olive Twist
Malabrigo Twist


Here's the weekend's haul, all together:

the haul

They're a bit hard to spot, but there are two skeins of black Briggs and Little Heritage (that's 430 yards for $10, piggies!) picked up from Penelope Fibre Arts up there in the top right, alongside a lovely little niddy noddy (perfect for sample handspun -- I'm being optimistic, here) from Don George (no website).

I bought more than I should have, but boy, was it fun.


* Stash Adequate For Eternal Reincarnation

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, awesome haul dude! Shannon's handspun is gorgeous. Must get her to teach me to do a decent single. All my spinning demands plying. :(

    Is Don George that lovely older gentleman? He is so nice! Did special order WIP tools on spec for a bunch of us spinners two years ago.

    And Canadian cashmere???? That's almost guilt free right there! Will you let me fondle it? Just a little?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like Shannon's handspun. How did I miss that? I love your "whole haul" photo. Very awesome. I also love the colour of your BFL roving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wish I had events to attend like this! *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to the Fiber Expo in our county in October. I'm hoping to have a LITTLE more self control than you did, but what fun you must have had picking all of this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsers, that's how my room looked when I came home from Woolfest in June, it feels so good to stash!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!! That is a gorgeous haul. I think I will be aiming for a few of those people on the yarn crawl!

    ReplyDelete