Monday, August 23, 2010

FO: Milo #2

Given my usual rate of completion (i.e. almost on par with the appearance of Halley's Comet), you'd think I'd waste no time engaging in a rather gauche public display of self-congratulation immediately upon a project's cast off. Especially of a project I enjoyed. And yet it's been more than three weeks since I finished Milo #2.

I completely forgot about it. Until a woman in the bus queue last week asked me if I'd 'finished that red vest yet'.

After picking my jaw up from the pavement (just what I need -- random strangers nagging me for FOs), I confirmed I had, indeed, completed it.

Soya Cotton Milo
Milo #2

I'm afraid I don't have a nicer photo of this one; I can't post pics of my friends' daughter wearing it. So you'll just have to believe me when I tell you this turned out well. Except for the two places I joined a new skein, that is.

My usual method for joining yarns of the same colour is to just knit three or four stitches with both yarns, before dropping the old one. I did it with Milo #1, for example, and I defy you to spot the join. Turns out it doesn't work so well with the Sublime Soya Cotton used for Milo #2. You don't exactly have to strain your eyes to see the two places I joined yarns (once for a new skein, once because a section of yarn was frayed beyond repair, necessitating a cut).

Apparently what I should have done was simply drop the first yarn, start with the new yarn, and come back later to weave the two ends in -- in opposite directions. Oh well, you live and learn, eh?

Project Details (Ravelled):

Pattern: Milo, by Georgie Hallam (on Ravelry)
Yarn: Sublime Yarns Soya Cotton DK (colourway: Pomegranate), 2.3 skeins
Needles: 3.75 mm/US 5, 40 cm/16” circular
Size: 3 yrs
Started: July 15
Finished: July 31
Modifications: After measuring my 20-month-old victim, whose chest measurement was bang-on the 2-year-old size, I decided to knit the 3-year size, using a smaller needle. I knit the pattern as written, other than casting off about three centimetres early. I ended up with a short, snug tunic. Were I to do it over again, I would have stuck with the 4 mm/US 6 needle.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is a lovely pattern. I'm already well into a third:

Aug 15
Milo #3

Once I finish the never-ending Noro-Whoro Scarf – hopefully tonight or tomorrow – it’ll be back to Milo #3, this one in the 3-month size, for a co-worker’s baby-to-be.



4 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha for strangers nagging you for FOs, hahahahahah, that sooo made my day, thank you (and the random bus lady!) :)))))))

    I usually join a new ball as per the latter method, but I tried your standard method on my latest project and wondered why I hadn't thought of it sooner. Good to know it has its drawbacks too, I'll keep an eye out for that when using it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some blogs where they crop kiddo heads off just to show the handknits. I like that you're the knitting lady at your bus stop. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milo # 2 came out great I will most definitely have to keep that pattern in mind. I hate adding in new balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete