Friday, July 30, 2010

From LYS to FO in 48 hours

Alanis Morissette would call this situation ironic. She’d be wrong, but whatever.

Two days after forming the Pre-Process Knitters Ravelry group (95 of us and counting!), I’m posting a finished object completed just two days after I bought the yarn its made from. If I didn't know this was a one-off anomaly in the space-time continuum, I'd have to kick myself out of the group.

Last Sunday I picked up this gorgeous skein of Mmmmmmmalabrigo yumminess:

Arco Iris
Malabrigo Rasta, Arco Iris Colourway

And on Tuesday evening, I had a finished object. And even more crazy-making: I had cast on during my lunch break. Yep, the actual knitting time was less than two hours.

It helps, of course, that project was the Instant Gratification Scarf by Cyn at Half-Assed Patterns. It's a ridiculously quick & simple pattern using the twisted drop stitch. I'd made one before, but this one is so much nicer, thanks to the utter gorgeousness of the Malabrigo.

Yesterday at knit night my lovely yarnies Leone and Monica were kind enough to model it:

Plae


Monica


close-up

The one skein of Rasta made a nice, big (10 x 270 cm/4 x 106 in) scarf. Bigger than Leone's face when rolled up, in fact.

It's a big'un
It's a big 'un

I'm not sure who the scarf is for; there's a bit too much yellow in it for me (I love yellow, but put it anywhere near my face, and I look like death warmed over). But I'm thinking of making another one in a different colourway.

Project Details (Raveled):

Pattern: Instant Gratification Scarf by Cyn (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Rasta, Arco Iris colourway, 1 skein
Needles 10 mm/US 15
Cast On: July 27, 2010
Cast Off July 27, 2010
Modifications: Not really a mod, but I cast on eight stitches.
Notes: Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! Much nicer than my first one, thanks to the gorgeous Rasta. The pattern is perfect for a highly variegated yarn.

I should 'fess up here and say this quick turn-around from LYS to FO isn't so remarkable: I went into the yarn shop planning to buy some bulky yarn for this pattern. It's for the Harry Potter House Cup, you see; July's Ancient Runes class involved making a project based on a letter of the alphabet assigned to you by the professor. Piggy got 'I'.

You might be surprised how few yarns or patterns there are beginning with 'I'. And you know I'm not about to crank out an Ishbel in 48 hours.



3 comments:

  1. "And you know I'm not about to crank out an Ishbel in 48 hours."

    This had me loling! Love the scarf. (I have a love hate relationship with yellow too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is SO becoming my profile photo on FB. I love the colours in the Rasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Great colors. I have the same problem with YELLOW!

    ReplyDelete