Sunday, May 2, 2010

What a Yarn



Photobucket

Day 7: What a Yarn
There’s one love that we all share: yarn. Blog about a particular yarn you have used in the past or own in your stash, or perhaps one that you covet from afar...




I'm sorry this one's so late -- a good chunk of the participants in Knitting & Crochet Blog Week are sleeping and won't see this until Monday -- but I've really enjoyed the past week so much, I haven't wanted it to end. I've found so many new blogs I will keep following, and new readers I hope will stick around.

That's all true. Also true is the fact I got up at the crack of dawn to be one of the first 30 people in line at Got Craft so I could get a free SWAG bag (I was, and did!), and then spent most of the day catching up on sleep.

Anyhoo...let's talk about yarn!

It should come as no surprise that someone who goes by the name yarnpiggy loves yarn. I'm more of a collector of yarn than a knitter, really; the ratio of stash to finished objects chez Piggy is so lopsided as to be extreme.

I can't help myself. When I see a beautiful yarn, I want to rescue it from the shop. And more often than not, I do. So my tiny wee studio apartment is now filled with yarn, waiting to be knitted.

I call myself a yarn snob, but that's not strictly true. I believe every yarn and fibre type has its purpose, and I have plenty of acrylic in my stash, right alongside the superfine merino, baby alpaca and bombyx silk. Heck, I even have some Noro, and as my yarnies and long-time readers know, Piggy ain't no Noro Whoro. (But hey -- some of my best friends are. Snort.)

What I am, though, is a Malabrigo Strumpet. If I were told I could only keep one line of yarn in my stash, I would cry and have a tantrum. And then I would grab all the Mmmmmmal. It's gorgeously soft, comes in plenty of stunning colourways and has, in my entirely biased opinion, the best group of fans on Ravelry -- the Malabrigo Junkies.

Fortunately, no one would dare tell Piggy to remove all but one line of yarn from her stash. Trust me, piglets, it would be ugly.

So I get to keep all my Wollmeise, Blue Sky Alpacas, Sweet Georgia, Indigo Moon, Koigu, Misti Alpacas, Dream in Color...

...and find somewhere to store the Sanguine Gryphon, Madelinetosh, Shibuiknits and many others I've yet to try and covet.






Be sure to check out the other entries for today’s topic!



5 comments:

  1. I don't think any knitter could actually have a stash of just one brand of yarn, it would be impossible.

    I just want to mention I like your logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sure, it's the standard, 'You're a Noro-whoro. Not that there's anything wrong with that!' Bahahahahahahaha.

    So, how long was your nap today? Mine was a little over 2 hours. Still not quite enough really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to get my hands on some Wollmeise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wollmeise....my mythological yarn.

    ReplyDelete