Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Knitcroblo2: An Inspirational Pattern



Photobucket

Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!

Piggy has only just arrived at base camp and started to acclimatize.

I am, of course, the self-appointed Queen of the Pre-Process Knitters, so the list of patterns I aspire to knit is a long one indeed. One that branches off in several directions -- Fair Isle sweaters, heirloom-worthy baby blankets, socks featuring intricate cables...On any given day I gaze down one or all of these paths, dreaming of the spectacular FOs I'll knit...someday.

But unusually, today I can actually identify a single pattern I am determined to knit. Not right away, of course...but sooner rather than later. It's a lace shawl that was far and away my favourite of the patterns submitted to the Tell Piggy What to Knit! contest.

Anne Hanson's Irtfa'a Faroese Lace Shawl.

(I won't copy-wrong the picture, so check out Anne Hanson's site, and the gallery of completed ones on Ravelry -- but have a tissue or two handy, because you'll be drooling.)

This might seem a strange claim: if you take a look at the poll at the top of the sidebar (feel free to vote!), you'll notice this pattern did not make the short list. But I assure you, it is my favourite. I just don't feel my skills are up to the task. Keep in mind, Piggy's previous lace experience is limited to a single FO:

Photobucket

The infamous Good Luck Cowl, a simple, error-free pattern which I re-named the "Bad Luck Cowl", as I only managed to complete it after countless attempts and frogging sessions.

So you might forgive me my desire to go for a somewhat simpler pattern before embarking on Irtfa'a.

It is simply a gorgeous, gorgeous shawl. All of Anne Hanson's creations are beautiful -- no fewer than 10 of the 91 nominees in the contest were her designs -- but this one is my favourite. One day...





9 comments:

  1. Anne Hanson's designing is spectacular. Her patterns are very well written too, so double bonus.

    Can I just say that I'm so glad you're writing again. :) It makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I never would have been able to tell that you frogged and refrogged this cowl, your lace looks really neat, so bravely onwards! That said, it will be years before I try one of Anne's patterns, I'm a lace beginner myself and they look like quite a mouthful! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find you inspiring. You try, you fail, you try again, you accept yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cowl is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am drooling! Congratulations on conquering your lace cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My inspirational knit was a faroese shawl too! Also, I voted--thanks for the prompt. That Spring Leaves pattern is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lovely patterns you have chosen :-) thanks for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne Hanson makes some of the most gorgeous items & your cowl is beautiful can't tell its been frogged at all

    ReplyDelete