Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Great Knitter -- well, not really



Photobucket

Day 3: One Great Knitter
Write about a knitter whose work (whether because of project choice, photography, styling, scale of projects, stash, etc) you enjoy. If they have an enjoyable blog, you might find it a good opportunity to send a smile their way.

Well. As I'm sure anyone who's been here before can imagine, I couldn't possibly limit myself to a single great knitter or crocheter who inspires me. So I'm going to cheat a bit and mention several.

Of course there are the famous knitters whose work inspires so many of us, the knitters for whom I need not include links or explanation. Elizabeth Zimmermann. Barbara Walker. The Yarn Harlot. Cat Bordhi. Anne Hanson. You get the idea.

But the knitters and crocheters I'll talk about today are the ones who inspire me on a more personal level. The ones I actually knit with, the ones who give me advice, answer my frantic questions, discourage my knee-jerk reaction to frog at my first dropped stitch, encourage me to try new techniques and enable my stash-enhancement activities: my local yarnies, members of the Terminal City Yarn Wranglers and the Vancouver Fibre League.

My yarnies are a fantastic bunch of knitters and crocheters -- all of them far more productive than I am! I'd be even more pre-process than I am without them, however.

Of course I left this post to the last minute, so I haven't received permission from most of them to use their project pics, so I encourage you to stalk them on Ravelry (all names below are Rav IDs) and through their blogs. :-) But here are a few snippets...

My pal beentsy (aka Queen of the Noro Whoros) has a stash to die for. It's legendary. She appears to be hiding it from us, as we are still waiting for an invite to her place, but I gather it involves somewhere in the neighbourhood of two dozen ginormous Rubbermaid bins. She knits everything from socks on teeny-weeny circs to lovely beaded lace shawls.

Photobucket
beentsy's Cobbler Shawl, by Lynette Meek

MrsQuimby is a sock-knitting star who has recently finished what's become known as The Viking Sweater of Doom for the rather tall Mr. Quimby.

Photobucket
MrsQuimby's Saranac, by Rebecca Hatcher

This project required a lot of determination -- and stitches! -- to complete. Very admirable indeed.

Then there's nellum, who whipped out a Fair Isle vest for her Ravelympics project:

Photobucket
nellum's Corrie Fair Isle Vest, by Kerin Dimeler-Laurence

I chose this picture because if you strain your eyes a bit, you can see how neat her floats are...seriously, this vest is almost reversible, the work is so good.

I am not a crocheter. I have made a grand total of two crocheted items. But I would like to improve my skills, thanks mainly to seeing my friend MsTing's beautiful, intricate work.

Photobucket
MsTing's Monroe, by Catherine Wilson

Honestly, Lara has opened my eyes to how beautiful crochet can be.

Yarnballa (aka P'cess, who is also taking part in Knitting & Crochet Blog Week) is truly an inspiration. Nothing gets her down -- not even when she accidentally sets fire to her knitting! So it shouldn't be surprising that she knit up this incredibly fun item:

Photobucket
Yarnballa's Mr. Smungkee, by Yvonne Boucher

Seriously, how fun is he? And he's HUGE!

And then there's megknitficent, who is a bit famous in her own right. She's also known, to those who attended Sock Summit, as "Veil Girl". Because she was crazy enough to knit this:

Photobucket
megknitficent's Wedding Veil, by Meg Swansen

Well, most of it, anyway. She got a bit of help, you see (definitely check out the project page on this one!). From the likes of Barbara Walker, Meg Swansen, Stephanie Pearl McPhee, Cat Bordhi, Lucy Neatby...and even Piggy! (And, I'd like to point out, my part of the veil was waaaaaaaaaay harder than those of Barbara Walker et. al. -- they had straight knitting, I had LACE, piglets!)

These are just a small handful of my Vancouver yarnies. There are many more who inspire me every day. I thank all of them.





10 comments:

  1. YaY! ... I'm FAMOUS! ... albeit for a whisper in a moment. I am happy to have furthered the appreciation of my craft - crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to dedicate this topic to your knitting group friends! Sweeeet : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the projects you've shared are great. That sock monkey? Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to learn to crochet its on my to learn list. You are friends with some knitters with some killer(in a good way) skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. And I totally copycatted and added an addendum to my day 3 post (Giving you credit, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to your knitting homeys. :) I find your creating pretty inspirational too. One day we will finish more than we're starting, one day. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impeccable taste, m'dear! (And I'm not just talking about me!) We'll break you of that frogging habit yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! Wonderful thought to show the work of your knitting group, and what gorgeous work it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for a post. Your veil part was definitely way harder. Especially since you were ambushed into it.

    ReplyDelete