Thursday, April 29, 2010

The continuing education of yarnpiggy



Photobucket

Day 4: A New Skill

Is there a skill related to your hobby that you hope to learn one day? maybe you’re a crocheter who’d also like to knit? Maybe you’d like to learn to knit continental, knit backwards, try cables or attempt stranded colourwork.

Well. It might be easier to talk about skills I don't want or need to learn. It would certainly be a much shorter list. Metaphorically speaking, Piggy is stuck in primary school; graduation of any sort is a looooooong way off.

I want to learn it all, really. In my ideal world, I would have all the skills needed to be able to knit -- or crochet -- any pattern that struck my fancy, without hesitation or doubt. Intricate lace and cables would fly off my needles with ease. Fair Isle would be fun. Socks would be simple. I would be ambidextrous -- Continental and English knitting would feel equally natural. Steeking and seaming would be steps to look forward to. Mistakes would be rare, and when discovered, quickly fixed.

But when it comes down to it, I think there is just one skill I need to learn to make all of the above possible: fearlessness, or confidence, if you will.

I need to get over my fear of making mistakes, and just knit. It's obvious, of course: if I don't try new skills, I'll never learn them.

Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises.
~ Elizabeth Zimmermann

Easier said than done, of course. But hopefully I'm inching towards embracing that ideal.




Be sure to check out the other entries for today’s topic!



5 comments:

  1. I think that is exactly why I haven't attempted to make anything of substantial size yet for fear of making a mistake and having to rip it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At some point, if we're lucky, we become recovering perfectionists. I have a plaque in my office that reads: Ineptitude: If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly. Now, that's a motto to have fun by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embrace laziness. I have and I enjoy my knitting more for it. But seriously, you possess all you need to knit any pattern that strikes your fancy...the desire to do so. Will you be successful the first try? Maybe not, but you will learn and continue to grow as a knitter.

    Hmmm. Sorry for being so hokey.

    ReplyDelete