Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Brace yourselves for A(ctual)K(nitting)C(content)!

Hard to believe, I know. But it's true: I've managed to make some progress on my Saroyan.

even_started2

That's twelve leaves' worth of progress, piglets. As I am using Malabrigo Silky Merino, rather than a worsted-weight yarn as the pattern calls for, I decided to knit 10 leaves in the increase section, rather than six. So that will mean 10 decrease repeats as well, obviously. The plan right now is to knit 14 repeats for the straight section; we'll see if I stick with that.

closeupleaves

I'm still too paranoid to attempt to memorize the leaf chart, which is very simple. I love how something so easy can look so impressive.

leavesclose

The only problem I've had so far is figuring out what to call it when people (ok, the yarnies at Unwind, since they're the only human contact I've had other than at supermarket checkouts and the Timmy's drive-through since I've been in Gibsons) ask me what I'm knitting. It's classified as a scarf in Ravelry's database, but I've been calling it a shawlette. But I can't say I'm really liking that, either.

In other news...I've been thinking about that cunning plan to improve my knitterly output I mentioned a while ago. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Dunckie calls this kind of thing a "schlarf" -- you know, a shawl/scarf :)

    Yours is looking lovely... mine (in orange, of course!) is at about the same stage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AmyB, I love 'schlarf'!!!

    Piggy! Your schlarf is gorgeous! Definately on my list of things to knit now! thanks for the compliment on the spinning next door... I'm thinking we're going to have to take a trip to WhiteRock one weekend as a VFL outing because that's where the woman who dyed this has her store and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely pretty. I may have to scare up the pattern for a certain gorgeous someone I know (ahem, me).

    ReplyDelete