Friday, February 19, 2010

The beginning of the fall

My descent into Noro Whoro-dom began last month, while working on my Potions homework in the Harry Cup Knitting/Crochet House Cup.

The assignment: to knit something dangerous. Well, I humbly submit that if knitting with yarn that draws blood isn't dangerous, nothing is. And to bring it up to life-threatening status (well, sanity-threatening, anyway), why not use it for something to be worn against the neck?

So I give you One DANGEROUS Cowl:

One DANGEROUS Cowl

Project Details:

Pattern: Social Climber Cowl, by Liza Gustin (non-Ravelry link)
Yarn: Noro Kureyon, colourway 180, one skein
Needles: 6.5 mm/US 10 1/2 Crystal Palace Daisy circular, 40 cm/16"
Started: January 20, 2010
Finished: January 22, 2010
Modifications: none

The pattern is great; simple yet lovely, and it really shows off the long repeats.

And the colours. Even the orange, which Piggy simply will not wear anywhere near her face unless the Netherlands is playing in the World Cup final.

The colours were almost enough to win me over.

However. The Kureyon.

I was lucky with this skein: no knots, and not too much veggie matter. Certainly none that required a Band-Aid.

But it's itchy as all get-out, even after a good soak in wool wash plus 45 minutes in a whack of hair conditioner. The latter, I'll admit, softened it up quite a bit. But not. nearly. enough.

So it's gone to a loving home with the Queen of the Noro Whoros.

So what was the tipping point, then? What prompted poor Piggy to shell out her own money for Noro?

You'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous! But I'm with you, I don't like the feel of Noro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love it! I've worn it twice this week. Grrrrr, good rustic yarn scritching right up against the skin. Fantastic!

    What? Too much info? You're sort of twitching right now, aren't you? And you REALLY want to scratch your neck. Dontcha? Bahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete