Monday, December 21, 2009

Piggy goes BIG (and saves her bacon!)

I just got in from a nice, low-key Christmas party given by old family friends up the Sunshine Coast a bit from my mum's. A few hours before leaving for the get-together, I remembered I'd promised one of the hosts something handmade (by my hands!) by the end of the year in that facebook thingy that was going around months and months ago.

Ooops.

(That wasn't actually the word that came out of Piggy's mouth. But you get the idea.)

So, what's a pre-process knitter (particularly one who doesn't knit quickly once she's finally decided what to knit) to do when faced with this type of emergency? There is really only one possible answer: Super. Bulky. Yarn.

Not chunky, not bulky. SUPER BULKY.

In my (admittedly rather limited) experience, I've encountered some disdain directed at super bulky yarns by some knitters. I get the sense they think "real" knitters don't use them, and those who do are somehow cheating.

Well, piglets, after today's near-disaster, I say bollocks to that. I may be a bit of a yarn snob, but I have officially embraced super bulky yarn. And I urge you -- particularly my fellow pre-process knitters -- to do the same.

I don't have a lot of the stuff in my stash. In fact, this morning I had only four balls of it. Which (providentially?) I picked up just yesterday at Dressew*. Four balls of the discontinued (I assume) Rowan Ribbon Twist. I didn't really like it, but I figured at $1.99 a ball, what could I lose?

(This is how crazy I am with yarn sales: I'll buy just about anything that is heavily discounted, even if I don't like it. This is where two of the balls of Noro in that scarf came from -- the 50% off bin.)

So this afternoon, just before heading to the ferry for Gibsons, I made a frantic search of Ravelry, and picked a pattern that sounded too good to be true: the Instant Gratification Scarf.

And after about 75 minutes of actual knitting time, I was weaving in the ends.

Instant Gratification Scarf

Apologies for the craptastic photo. No time to wait for decent light. The close-up is maybe a wee bit clearer?

Instant Gratification Scarf

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Project Details

Pattern: Instant Gratification Scarf, by Cyn of Half-Assed Patterns
Yarn: Rowan Ribbon Twist, 1 skein, Rapid colourway
Needles: 9 mm/US 13 Clover Daisy straights (thanks for the loan, Mum!)
Notes: I cast on nine stitches. Final dimensions: approximately 4.5 x 55 inches. Unfortunately, I brought two mismatched skeins with me; I'd prefer a slightly longer scarf. But it is definitely serviceable as-is.

Now, I'm not saying this is the most beautiful pattern ever, but I think using a nicer yarn would yield something quite lovely. And it's certainly a gift-knitting-emergency lifesaver.

I see more of these in my future.


*For non-Vancouverites, Dressew (no website) is an amazing shop filled with fabric, notions, and a usually small selection of yarn. 100% acrylic yarn, mostly of the furry/eyelashy/ribbon variety. Every skein, no matter the brand or size, is always $1.99. But last week, they got in a big shipment of nicer stuff, mostly from the (now defunct) Nashua Handknits. All at the usual price. Piggy was uncharacteristically slow about making the pilgrimage, yet managed to come away with 21 skeins.

2 comments:

  1. Bollocks indeed. Nothing wrong with super-extra-wicked-bulky yarn for holiday knitting. ;) Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Dressew three times! and passed on the yarn you bought. Damn, it looks alright knit up.

    I can't go back a fourth time.... to save money.... again. Damn.

    Oh, for fun, try knitting with kid silk haze after the super bulky!

    ReplyDelete