Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I am not, never have been, and never will be a Noro Whoro

...but at least now I can claim some degree of authority when I tease all those of you who are.

I cast off and wove in the ends of the "I can't believe I'm knitting with Noro" scarf more than a week ago, but I didn't get around to giving it a good soak in lavender-scented Eucalan until Monday. So I didn't have any photos to post until today.

So here it is, piglets:

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Project Details:

Pattern: The Noro Slip Stitch Stripe Scarf, by Renee (non-Ravelers, go here)
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Chunky, two skeins each of colourways 3 and 11
Needles: 6.5 mm/US 10 1/2 Crystal Palace Daisy circulars, 40 cm/16 in
Modifications: The pattern calls for Noro Matsuri, a DK weight yarn, knit on 4 mm/US 6 needles; as I was using a chunky yarn, I reduced the number of stitches cast on to 24 on larger needles.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the results. I have nothing negative to say about the pattern; it's very simple and repetitive, yet I found it far less tedious to knit than the "original" Noro Whoro/K1P1 Virus scarf. I would definitely use it again with a softer yarn that offered Noro-like long colour repeats.

As for the Noro...Well, I'll be honest: the experience wasn't quite as awful as I'd expected it would be. I was pleasantly surprised to come across just two knots in the four balls I used (I couldn't be bothered to perform surgery on them, and just knitted the knots in; I defy anyone to find them). And while there was that one piece of "vegetable matter" that practically drew blood, there wasn't too much additional fibre in my fibre.

But -- you knew there had to be a but, and it's a big one -- while it was o.k. to knit with, I find the resulting fabric -- even after a long soak -- too itchy too wear against my neck.

So, the scarf is going to a new home, with the Queen of the Noro Whoros herself.

And now excuse me while I dive into my stash of Malabrigo.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I loves you girl. You gave it a good try and that's all I can ask. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty! Lucky Beentsy...

    And I missed my chance to yell "Noro whoro" at Piggy. Boo....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf is beautiful, but as you say they are definite drawbacks to Noro. I think what finished it for me were the knots and the fact it felt like steel wool against the skin.

    Katharine/Bluetiggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarf is beautiful. I don't get the Noro craze. I saw it up close and personal for the first time last month and was turned off by the feel. My hands are very sensitive to the least bit of scratchy wool.

    I love the colors. But I can spin a nice yarn with bright long color sections for cheaper. Plus, I would use a softer wool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked with Noro for the first time recently and I rather liked it. The color is lovely and your scarf... is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete