Monday, November 23, 2009

Piggy vs. Noro

As promised, today's post is all about Noro. As regular visitors might know, Piggy isn't a huge fan.

Ok, that's a bit of an understatement. I've always hated the stuff. And I haven't exactly been shy about bashing (in good fun, of course) those who collect it like I collect UFOs (a.k.a. the Noro Whoros).

Oh, the colours are beautiful. Gorgeous, even. I've always conceded that. But call me crazy, I don't like yarn that bites me back.

Seriously. All the Noro I've seen other people knit has come with rather more sharp vegetable matter than it should. I mean, if I'm paying $5 for a skein of Briggs & Little, I'm down with needing to pick out a bit of foliage. But $12? Not so much.

Then there's the problem of the knots. My mother once found six -- SIX -- knots in a single skein of Silk Garden. So. Not. Cool.

And don't get me started on the itchiness factor. Just thinking about it makes me want to roll around in all my Malabrigo.

Yet, with much reluctance, I am forced to admit I probably should actually knit with some Noro before I can legitimately go around trashing the stuff to anyone who'll listen.

So, yesterday, I accepted a very kind gift (after all, to some people, this stuff is precious) from the Queen of all the Noro Whoros herself. Four skeins of Silk Garden Chunky, and a printout of the Noro Slip Stitch Stripe Scarf ('cause beentsy, despite being the Noro Whoro, ain't no idiot: she knows I'm not about to contract the K1P1 virus again).

cast-on

And I cast on. And haven't touched it since. I'll get to it, I promise, but the Mmmmmalabrigo is calling...

4 comments:

  1. so i finally soaked and blocked the little noro scarf i made and it was AMAZING, the transformation. sure, it's not malabrigo (what is) but it's no longer straw. i can't imagine wearing it in big doses next to my skin, like socks or something, but it really does transform with a long soak.

    still - i'm in the noro bashing camp with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While, I, by no means, am a complete Noro convert, I do like the Silk Garden Chunky. My new hat (not yet photographed) - new because I ripped out the other design I used originall - is holding up quite nicely with no discomfort on my forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I love it when you fight me. LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't figure out how to do the sock without my dear sister sitting next to me so I spent some time playing in my Noro. I came out with little "crown" headbands for the girls. Noro makes me happy. Malabrigo is nice, soft, friendly, but it just doesn't compare to the character and *umf* of my new friend Noro. (am I really talking about yarn like it's alive.....)

    ReplyDelete