Friday, November 6, 2009

A Friday Free-For-All

I have no plan. So I'm going with a bulleted list. In doing so I'm unabashedly ripping off Sheepish Annie's Wednesday Night Bullet Posts. The difference, besides the chosen day, is that Sheepie's excellent missives feature deceptively well-structured story arcs. Piggy's Friday Free-For-All, well, doesn't.

  • If Piggy ruled the world, there would be no Christmas advertising or public decoration permitted until after Remembrance Day. At the earliest. Personally, I'd prefer December 1. Or maybe anytime after 8 p.m. on November 30, so you could be ready to go first thing December 1.

  • I mean, I love Christmas (despite being a non-believer -- I know, I know, but let's face it: the Christians co-opted Saturnalia, and besides, Jesus wasn't even born in December), including all the schmaltz. Heck, especially the schmaltz. But when you start in October, it's kind of hard for the holiday itself to feel special.

  • My strong feelings on this issue did not prevent me from ordering -- and thoroughly enjoying, thank you very much -- my first Gingerbread Steamed Soy Milk at my knitting meet-up last night. Piggy is a hypocrite.

  • I am still wearing capri pants and no socks. It's cold, rainy and dark at 4:30 p.m. these days, but I refuse to accept it is no longer summer.

  • Yesterday my yarny nellum's mum & boyfriend stopped by knit night to deliver me homemade perogies. Nell's in the hospital after having hip surgery, and I brought a bunch of Bollywood DVDs in exchange ('cause there's nothing like watching a Bollywood movie while on morphine).

  • I'm pretty sure there were enough for at least two servings, but I ate them all in one go last night when I got home. Nom, nom, nom.

  • I really hope I have something better for you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Replies:

    - While I agree about specifically "Christmas" things... I wish that we could just have 'festive' without being Christmas.
    - Mmmm Gingerbread. That's all I have to say about that.
    - I hate socks. But my feet are always cold. I like slippers.
    - Once nellum is home from the hospital, we should bring over goodies and have a knit-in. I'd be happy to help plan.
    - NOW I WANT PEROGIES (that aren't from my freezer).... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the Christmas advertising! But...are there eggnog lattes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with December 1st, precisely BECAUSE I love Christmas so much. Also: while I'm happy the eggnog lattes are here in theory, nobody needs more than one month of eggnog. It's just not healthy, lol. (Oh, and I'm a non-believer as well... Christmas is just as easily a secular holiday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the Xmas issue. I mean, I love eggnog as much as the next person, but I fight really hard to wait until December...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, non-believer's unite. I love Christmass. I figure Winter Solstice is the 1st day of Christmass which would make New Year's Day 12th night, which would make sense.

    When I was a child, my mom and I decorated the tree on Christmass Eve with sherry and decorations. I have a whole huge problem with Christmass decorations out right after Thanksgiving! I kid you not. I saw it this year - House and yard all Christmassy right in the middle of October. By December I have pretty much tuned out the Christmass stuff. I would rather it wasn't like that.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete