Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's do the Twist

Don't panic: Piggy's not dancing! But you, fibre-friendly folks that you are, likely figured that out already. And since I don't spin (yet), I'm sure you can guess what this post is about, can't you?

Yep, I'm talking about Twist Collective. Clever sausages, all of you!

Lucky Piggy was among a group of about 50 knitters who managed to snag a free ticket to a Twist Collective fashion show held last night at Three Bags Full. I'd been looking forward to the show for a few weeks, and with one wee exception, it did not disappoint.

MrsQuimby and I met up after she finished work, and went for an early dinner at East is East, just across the street from TBF. It's one of my favourite places to eat: plenty of vegetarian-friendly eastern fusion grub to choose from (in addition to the omni-friendly dishes). The service, however, while always friendly, is usually, how shall I say it? - relaxed. So Q and I were taken aback when we were finished a good 90 minutes or so before the show.

Fortunately, we had our knitting with us, and were able to pass the time easily on the bench outside the shop.

Once inside, we chatted with familiar faces and new ones while the final show prep was done by Rachael from Twist. And then...the show!

My apologies for the mostly craptastic photos...Piggy FAIL.

First up was Sylvi, which made a couple of appearances (on two models!).

slyviset

Apparently this pattern, by Mari Muinonen, is one of Twist's most popular. I'm pretty keen on it myself, and suggested an autumn KAL to Q...any of you Wranglers interested? It's knit in Briggs & Little Atlantic, which keeps my Canadian pride -- and my wallet -- happy. I'm thinking Mulberry...you like?

Some of the other highlights included...

gythapair

Gytha by Jennifer Appleby. Really lovely. I bought this pattern for my mum, and am looking forward to seeing hers.

theaphrodite

The Summer 09 issue's cover knit, Aphrodite by Sivia Harding, who hopefully got a better shot of her gorgeous work than I did! Honestly, I've always been lukewarm -- ok, ok, rather frigid -- about beaded knitting. This beautiful shawl has changed my mind.

gussets

Botanical Lace Cardigan by Margaret Atkinson. Modelled by Christa Giles, who obliged those asking for a better look at the gussets!

diamondpullover

This one -- Grant Park Pullover by Selana Lee -- fetched plenty of oohs and ahs. It's a lovely sweater, of course, but I think we were also pretty happy to have some testosterone in the room. :o)

jamie

All the models were great, but Jamie was fierce, as Tyra Banks would say. She really worked a long-sleeved Bijou by Marnie MacLean (left), Kingscot by Norah Gaughan and Dietrich, another Marnie MacLean pattern. (Apologies for the awful lighting/colour on that pic...but I couldn't keep it out.)

We were also treated to several socks, mitts, kids' garments and stuffed toys. The only disappointment: no Vivian. It's my favourite Ysolda Teague pattern. I actually bought it for a swap partner, but I want one myself, so will need to buy it again, I think.

The generous Francesca made sure everyone left with a door prize -- how awesome is that? I received a Three Bags Full bag, but managed to trade it for a copy of Vogue Stitchionary 3 (colourwork). It was a good trade; I'll pick up another bag on Sunday after the Wranglers' meetup.

It was a great evening. Now I need to get a new job to fund all the pattern purchasing I want to do!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking all the pics! Now I almost feel like I was actually there. Good thing I didn't have a ticket anyway or I would have had to give it away. Not quite up for much walkies yet. But the hoofy is improving daily. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the pics! Now I wish I'd snagged a ticket!

    Stuff always looks so much better when it's in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooo! Everything looks so pretty! I love Jennifer Appleby's designs so I'll be interested to see how your mom's turns out too. :)

    ReplyDelete