I give you 30% or so of Piggy's first sweater:
I know; it's a big rectangle. Kind of deflating, no? My apologies.
You'll notice -- astute piggies that I know you are -- that the back is being blocked. (And that Piggy is in rather desperate need of either blocking wires, or a much better sense of what does and does not constitute a straight line.)
I hadn't planned on blocking it -- at least, not at this point -- but after casting off at the shoulders and putting the collar stitches on some scrap yarn I finally measured the width of the piece. Which was off by a fair amount. I'm not going to say just how far off...because I'm still not entirely sure what the heck I'm doing.
As you might remember, I actually did swatch for this project. And, unsurprisingly, I didn't get gauge; after all, the yarn I'm using is a worsted designed to get 19-20 stitches over four inches, rather than the 16 the pattern calls for.
So I went down one size in the pattern. But even with fairly heavy blocking (width-wise), I'm only just reaching the smaller size. I've obviously done something wrong. Ugh.
I'm going to press on, though; I'm under a tight deadline (the whole thing needs to be finished by July 31), and fortunately the pattern is designed with plenty of ease.