Thursday, May 14, 2009

When it rains, it pours

And that's not just today's weather report for Vancouver.

Yesterday's trip to the post office yielded no less than four packages. Including my Malabrigo Swap package! (To which I'll devote a full post later today or tomorrow.)

First up: my most recent purchase from Chapters.

Photobucket

I'd heard lots of good things about this book; my fellow Wrangler Lauren suggested it as an ideal single resource for sock knitting, and that sentiment was echoed by plenty of online reviews, so I was sold.

Never mind the fact Piggy already has no less than four volumes dedicated to sock knitting. And has yet to complete her first sock.

Next, my prize from wenat's raffle for the Canadian Cancer Society: a super-cute project bag from BeaBinney's etsy shop.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is just the right size for...a sock in progress!

Finally (for this post), a great big white box from Elann:

Photobucket

That is 19 balls of Peruvian Highland Donegal, destined to become Piggy's first sweater: a Weasley Jumper! (Non-Ravelers, go here.)

I'll be attempting to complete this by the end of July for my History of Magic O.W.L. in the Harry Potter Knitting/Crochet House Cup on Ravelry. I decided to go for Ravenclaw colours, blue and bronze.

Bronze is a tricky colour to find in yarn. Fortunately, I'll need less than a ball to complete the intarsia H (lucky for lazy Piggy, her name begins with H, so no need to bother with finding alphabet charts!). So I went ahead and bought the two shades that I thought might work: Hazelnut and Cognac.

Here are the colours together:

Photobucket

I think the Hazelnut (on the right) is definitely the better bronze, but the Cognac might be clearer against the blue...what do you think?

Stay tuned for the mmmmmmal goodness!

7 comments:

  1. Great mail day! Can't go wrong with Sensational knitted socks, both books are awesome. LOVE the bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours look great. Can't wait to see the swap package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right. The yarn on the right will work better than the more yellow one.

    I have that sock book and it is good. Of course, I have to make it trickier by reversing patterns to do toe-up socks. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book. I didn't like it - at first - but now it is one of my favorites!

    Love that project bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After looking at the sweater pattern, and knowing that you are going after a bronze accent, I vote for the "Hazelnut" colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that project bag! WANT!!!

    I vote for Cognac, I like the colours better together and it makes for a more classic tweedy look. But ultimately the choice is yours.

    ReplyDelete