Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Avoidance (oh, and a Fibre Festival!)

Procrastiknitting. Piggy's all about it. Especially when it comes to the K1P1 scarf. I did manage to get a wee bit done yesterday, but I've been avoiding the needles all morning.

Instead, I've checked out some of the Sock Summit registration day drama on Ravelry (and have had my faith in the essential goodness of humanity affirmed by the majority of knitters who are looking at the bright side...), stalked the Canada Post website to see where the package I sent to my Malabrigo Swap partner is (very close to its final destination, the posties tell me), caught up on my celebrity gossip, done some laundry, dusted....Anything. But. That. Scarf.

So let's talk about something else, shall we?

In the comments to my post on May 17 (I know, I know...that was a while ago now...my apologies), Brenda asked if I planned to be at the Gibsons Landing Fibre Arts Festival this year. I certainly am, and encourage everyone who can to join me on the Sunshine Coast August 19-22. It's a fun event, and I'm not just saying that because my mother is one of the festival directors. Honestly. To prove it: I'll express disappointment that there are no crochet workshops again this year, and fewer knitting classes than I'd like.

Nevertheless, I will be taking part in two knitting workshops: Free Form Knitting and Mitred Modules, both taught by Janet Armstrong. My friends MrsQuimby and Plae took a shorter version of the Free Form Knitting workshop last fall, and enjoyed it, so I'm particularly looking forward to that one.

There are spaces left in both these workshops, as well as Venessa Bentley's two-day Lace Knitting workshop, which looks wonderful.

There are also plenty of other great workshops available for beginner and experienced spinners, weavers, dyers, quilters, embroiderers (is that a word?), sewers, rug hookers, paper artists and woodworkers. Check out the full list here.

If you don't have the time or inclination to attend a workshop or two, the festival still makes for a nice day trip from Vancouver. There's the merchant mall, full of fantastic stash-enhancing opportunities.

And you know you want to have your picture taken beside the Persephone, and eat at Molly's Reach.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about...check out this piece of classic Canadian television -- complete with liberal use of the word "hoser"! -- that put Gibsons on the map.)

Hope to see you there! I'll be wearing my Ravelry button. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to talk to you in person about this festival.

    ReplyDelete