Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yarn Barf

You know what I'm talking about: a big ol' tangled mess coming from yarn with serious internal problems.

Piggy is particularly prone to tangles (this blog's subtitle is literal as well as figurative); temperamental skeins, hanks and balls of yarn seem to gravitate towards me. I have no idea why, as I'm certainly not cut out for the role of yarn medic; I have no patience for the tedious work of de-tangling.

If anything, I tend to feed the disease, rather than quell it: the yarn almost invariably becomes even more of a tangled clump -- and I turn darker shades of purple with frustration -- before I chuck the whole mess away.

So you can imagine my distress when late Sunday morning, when a skein of lovely Malabrigo Worsted in Pollen succumbed to the disease. Mmmmalabrigo, people!


yarn barf
On the table: about to make the critical cut.


It was a particularly advanced form, too: it had reached the projectile stage. Barfage everywhere.

I tried to save it all, honestly I did. But the clock was ticking (I had to grab a shower before heading out to meet MrsQ for some pre-Wrangler meet-up shopping), and the damage so severe that the only thing for it was surgical amputation. When all was said and done, a good five yards was left on the operating table.

Fortunately, I am occasionally willing to own up to my inadequacies and ask for help. So I gathered up the patient and transported it to the Grind for further treatment. The wonderful beentsy managed to save most of what was left; there are a couple of breaks, but the bulk of the 216 yards made it into a single ball.

I'm afraid I have no photos of this second operation, but after some time in recovery, I managed to transform the patient into a decent cake o' Mal, which is now leading a productive life as a Cabled Baby Hat in progress.


yarnbarf_hat
Post-recovery: the salvaged amputees, the cake & the WIP.


With any luck, the disease won't spread to the rest of the stash.

An interesting note: when typing up this post, I looked up "tangle" in the Thesaurus. (Piggy is just a tad anal about repetition, and didn't like two forms of the word in the first two sentences.) Interestingly, one of the suggested synonyms for "tangle" was "skein". Hmmmmmmm.....

4 comments:

  1. You and I have different definitions of Yarn Barf. I thought you were gonna show us some reeeeally HIDEOUS yarn, and I was like, but that's pretty! LOL (Of course it is, it's mmmmalabrigo!)

    Glad you could get it all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title for the blog! I knew exactly what you meant. Once I found myself in a similar situations and ended by throwing the stuff across the room. It takes quite a lot to get me that frustrated. Thank goodness it wasn't very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute hat! I really love that warm shade of yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH!! It hurts me to just look at it :-(

    ReplyDelete