Sunday, March 22, 2009

Piggy is really a sheep

Eh?

Well, a bunch of the Wranglers who meet up on Sundays are doing a KAL (Muggle translation: knit-along) in April, and I'm jumping on the bandwagon. This despite the fact that I am incredibly unlikely to wear the finished object.

The pattern: Selbu Modern (non-Ravelers, go here), by Kate Osborn. It's a gorgeous colourwork tam/beret. The problem is, Piggy doesn't have a hat-friendly noggin, and tams...well, no.

But I'm going to do it anyway. It's another example of my pre-process knitting tendencies; I'm in it for the social aspect, rather than either the knitting itself or the final product.

This will be my first colourwork project; I'm a bit nervous about it, but it's a good opportunity to finally learn Continental knitting (this is the process knitter part of me coming out)...through which I will knock off two of my New Year's knitting resolutions in one project.

And it gave me a good excuse to buy a book I've had my eye on for awhile:

Color Knitting


The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques, by Margaret Radcliffe. I just picked it up. I'll report on it later.

I've already picked out my yarn (selecting it took two trips to Three Bags Full, both pre- and post-meetup last Sunday, and consultations with several Wranglers):

Koigu for Selbu Modern

Two pretty purples (Koigu KPM 1160 & 2235)-- perfect for Piggy, just in case I change my mind about tams. But I can also think of a few people who would like the combination as well...so it could be a super-early start to Christmas knitting for me this year!

I can't decide which shade to use for the background, and which for the colourwork...what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. great yarn picks....Tams are pretty good fits for everyone because you can change the way you wear it. You don't give your noggin enough credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that book a week ago and had to go visit it again this week. My daughter is going to try to order it for me at a discount (since she is asst. mgr at a bookstore) and I'm hoping she can do so. In the meantime, I like to hold it and tell it that one day it can come home and live with me. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's going to be pretty! I think I'd use the darker colour for the background colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. darker is better I think, but the lighter is more you.

    ReplyDelete