Tuesday, March 17, 2009

FO: Thermis

Yep, it's another neckwarmer. In an appropriate shade for St. Patrick's Day, no less.

This was knit for both Malabrigo March and my March Charms homework (Ravelry links). Nothing unusual about the former -- I joined several Malabrigo Junkies in the Thermis KAL. As for the latter...the Confundus charm is the theme for March...the assignment, to make something that you can't see the point of. I figured a warm woolly neckwarmer for a Vancouver March was a bit silly, especially since I already have several cowls.

Well...it's bloody freezing out there. And it's St. Patrick's Day. So a green, warm Thermis actually makes a lot of sense. Here's hoping my prof won't hold that against me.

Anyhoo. This was an enjoyable knit. I pretty much stuck to the pattern, despite several comments from fellow Junkies that the sizing was large. I like me a longish cowl, so the length wasn't an issue. I also like my cowls on the snug side, so I was a tad worried that the proscribed 112 stitches might be a tad high.

I needn't have worried; if anything, it's on the too-snug side. But I haven't blocked it yet, and I'm sure it will stretch a bit with wear, as well. (Not sure I should attempted to block it at this point, as I've already attached the buttons...think this is an issue?)


Finished Thermis
All buttoned up


Finished Thermis - unbuttoned
And unbuttoned!

The biggest issue for me was which buttons to use. I wanted some wooden ones, but the only ones at my LYS at the moment are heart-shaped. Piggy's not really a heart-type gal. I bought two anyway, figuring I could switch them out later. Then I found these mother-of-pearl-type ones at a big box store I'm ashamed to admit I shop at occasionally.


Thermis buttons

What do you think? I'm still not sure about them.

Project Details:

Pattern: Thermis, by Kristen Patay. (Non-Rav link.) Size small/medium.
Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted, in Christmas Green.
Needles: 40cm/16in Addi Turbo, 4.0mm/US 6
Modifications: I cast off in pattern, rather than using the sewn cast off. Because I'm lazy, and because my threshold for sewing tolerance was met by the attaching of buttons.

5 comments:

  1. It's very nice. I love that shade of green

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute pattern. I now need to go add it to my faves/queue on Rav. Enabler!

    I think those Mother of Pearl buttons give it a touch of elegance. It's a cowl, but it's not too slouchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I really like the buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, it looks so super cozy! I like the buttons, they look great.

    ReplyDelete