Thursday, February 5, 2009

In which Piggy gets her comeuppance

I should have seen it coming. 

After riding a wave of euphoria (read: boasting about it to anyone who would listen) following the successful turning of a heel, I sat down after work to start on the gusset. Worrywort that I am, I was a tad worried that my heel flap was a wee bit long, after receiving some reassurance from a few of my knitting pals on Plurk and Twitter, I dived back into the sock-knitting waters with a most un-Piggy-like optimism.

Queue the inevitable tsunami of whoop-ass, courtesy of the knitting gods.

Gusset FAIL.

I'm still not sure how it all went wrong, but it sure as heck did. And reading through the relevant sections of a recommended book, Teach Yourself Visually Sock Knitting by Laura Chau (aka cosmicpluto) didn't help. 

Chau says I should finish the heel turning so that I start the next row on the right side of the work. I did. Sounds good, right? 

"MWAHAHAHAHAHA!" the knitting gods thundered.

For you see, in Chau's photo for this stage of the game, the yarn is dangling from the left side of the needle, while mine is on the right...how can that be?  I purled across that final Row 2 of the heel flap, then turned the work...so the yarn is on the right-hand end while I'm looking at the right side of the work. What am I missing, here? Probably something obvious.

And then it gets worse for Piggy. Chau says knit all the heel stitches, then pick up stitches along one side of the heel flap (then knit the instep stitches, and, finally, pick up stitches along the other side of the heel flap. But how can I knit the heel stitches on the right side of the work with the yarn coming from the left end of the needle? 

HELP! I know that I'm the one with the problem here, not the fabulous cosmicpluto. But I. Really. Don't. Get. It.

I knew it was too good to be true.

4 comments:

  1. you just need to knit back across and pick up stitches down the side of the heel flap, then knit the next needle full of stitches, and pick up stitches on the other side of the heel flap. You just need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, it is near impossible to explain in text. Suggestion.......hi thee hence to your LYS and have the owner show you. Once you see it done, it won't be such a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or just come talk to me at work about it silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Edna said, it's something that you just have to do and it will work out. It doesn't sound right in the instructions, but it works out when you do it. Good luck!
    Besides, you need to learn how to knit socks so you can make something awesome out of you rPaca Peds!

    ReplyDelete