Monday, January 12, 2009

That'll do, Pig

As in, enough already. I’m cutting myself off. No more yarn. Period. And this time, I really, really mean it.

Piggy hit the Belated Boxing Day Sale at my favourite LYS this weekend (note I did not specify which day), and did some serious damage to her bottom line. This despite the rather alarming fact that all of the yarn she bought at the last big sale remains in larval scarf, hat, sweater, sock, mitt and shawl form.


Saturday morning, t-minus 45 minutes to the opening stampede.

Funny how I never listen to those alarms, eh? I was about to type “internal alarms”, but who am I kidding? Yesterday one of my fellow Wranglers practically threw herself in front of the cupboard containing the Fiddlesticks Lace to prevent me from grabbing a skein of Ruby to mate with the one I bought on Saturday.

I’m not exaggerating; moon-brain couldn’t actually throw herself in front of said cupboard because there was no.room.to.move. (Seriously, the only thing you could have thrown in there over the weekend was a hissy fit. And we’re not going to talk about that. Because I said so, that’s why.)

Like the Black Hole of Calcutta, but with cupcakes.

I’m quite sure had she the space, she would have be willing to pull a full-on groin-ripping Luongo defence of that cupboard. I mean, the girl actually let the woman between us in the queue take her spot; she told her it was so she could “talk to my friend,” but really, she meant “to prevent my friend from completely losing her tenuous grip on reality.”

You might at this point recall that lace and I don’t really get along. But the stuff was on sale, you see. That fact alone made it—and a huge chunk of the rest of the shop—incredibly desirable.

In my defence, I did stick to yarns that were at least 30 per cent off. Well, for the most part, anyway.

Here's how it went down…

Round 1: Saturday, 9:45 a.m.-12:45-p.m.

I guess I should reveal my pre-sale game plan: one basket for holding stash (40% off); two skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca & Silk (20% off) in Peapod, to use for my January Arithmancy homework, as its numerical profile matches mine perfectly (I’ll explain this later); and the yarn for my Malabrigo Swap spoilee (which, for obvious reasons, must remain secret for now). Plus, any lonely singles I liked (70% off).

How did I do?

One basket: check.




Malabrigo Yarn for swap partner: check. (Photo to come later. Much later.)

Two skeins of BSA Alpaca & Silk in Peapod: check and no check.




Those are indeed two skeins of BSA Alpaca & Silk. But they ain’t Peapod. They’re Kiwi. Note to self: in future, look up and write down both the name and the number of any colourways you need. Especially when planning to buy sale merchandise that is non-returnable.

Lonely singles: none. I was the very model of restraint. (i.e., all the good stuff was gone by the time I found the lonely singles basket).

I did, however, get a few extra bits and bobs. Just a few.




Five (yes, five – Piggy’s a big girl, remember) skeins (“skein” doesn’t really feel adequate when describing these monsters, somehow) of Cascade Eco+ (40% off) in hot pink. Thank you beentsy, all-mighty mistress of enabling. These were added to the basket just before I entered the queue for the cash. So...about an hour before leaving the shop.

The key to this sale, I’ve discovered, is to get into the checkout line as soon as it forms; the shop is small enough to shop as you queue; also, the teeming masses of knitters are almost universally friendly, meaning if you asked nicely, that woman next to the Dream in Color Classy was happy to pass you a skein or three.

But I digress. After turning the far corner (the queue already circled the entire shop), two skeins of Mirasol Miski (30% off) flung themselves into my basket:




I let them stay, despite knowing I was going to add another off-plan yarn to the mix.




Two skeins of Misti Alpaca Sock (30% off). (I know. I don’t knit socks. But I will, baby, I will!) I’d made that decision about twenty minutes before, after fondling a gorgeous skein held by the woman two places behind me in the queue. (Who turned out to be my Plurk pal chrissythegreat, aka Yarn Sprout. I thought it was her, but was shy to ask...turns out, she thought I might be yarnpiggy, but didn't want to make a mistake, either! We confirmed each other’s identities afterwards on Plurk, LOL).

And then, finally, was that skein of Ruby Fiddlesticks Lace (30% off).




Red isn’t really a Piggy favourite, although this is quite a nice one. I got this just before arriving—finally—at the cash. It was definitely an impulse buy: “Ruby” happens to be another colour that fits my Arithmantic profile perfectly.

The damage: I’m not telling. It was big, but less than I spent at the last sale. And I was faster than last time, too; I actually made it in time for lunch across the street with MrsQ and beentsy (who made it out together about 40 minutes before I did), as well as moon-brain (who wisely waited until Sunday to shop) and new Wrangler (and Vancouverite!) 3lotusblossoms (who even more wisely took one look at the mayhem and decided she would wait for her stash to arrive from home).

Round 2: Sunday, noon-12:35 p.m.

Stop wagging your fingers at the screen; I needed to get that Alpaca & Silk in Peapod. Piggy’s a stickler about these sorts of things, and Kiwi doesn’t match up with my numbers at all. And since I had to buy the Peapod, I figured I'd might as well get it at 20% off, no? Besides, I was going to be in the area anyway, as the regular Wrangler meet-up was being held just down the street at 12:30.




So, I picked up the Peapod—which I must say I prefer to the Kiwi—and got into the queue. It wasn’t nearly as long as on Saturday, but it was still s-l-o-w. I did some browsing while waiting, but didn’t pick anything up until right before the cash, when complete madness took over. Seriously, dudes…Hell might well have frozen over (has anyone checked?). Look what I bought:




I know, I know. Piggy has not been shy about expressing her distaste for Noro. Knots, twigs, itchiness…it’s just not for me. Different Strokes, for different folks, eh? But some evil force told me I wanted—no, I needed—a Noro hat. Ugh. That force: the 50% off sign. It’s a powerful thing, people: I wouldn’t buy yarns I love if they were only 15% off (DIC Smooshy, for example), but tell me it’s half-price, and I’ll buy Noro. NORO, for Pete's sake!

Round 3: Sunday afternoon, 2:30-3:45 p.m. (I think.)

Yes, Round 3. Don’t laugh; it’s not nice to make fun of people with mental disabilities. Clearly, Piggy is a few bricks short of a load. The good news: I pretty much (Fiddlesticks Lace notwithstanding) snapped out of my delusional buying frenzy before whipping out my wallet. 

The bad news: not before I agreed to stand in line with another Wrangler’s selections (cash advanced, of course, so I couldn’t leave). So I had to buy something, else I’d look like a chump, right? Right? Work with me here. So I made one final purchase:




A single skein of Silky Wool in a truly lovely purple.

All-told: I still spent less than at the Labour Day sale. Next time, I’ll do even better.

Because we all know there's going to be a next time, yarn diet or no. 

8 comments:

  1. I am humbled by your ability to shop for yarn, to wait in line and then to do it again. I appreciate living vicariously through your experience. It was safer for me to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I can't wait till I can be free of my enforced yarn diet!

    All that stuff looks like it'd be fun to pile on a bed and roll around in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, an actual yarn related mob scene! Who would have thought it? I wish I had a yarn budget because some of your scores are truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it - larval yarn!!! Gotta remember that one! Glad you had fun - I couldn't deal with all those people, even for yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank god you got a job!! that was some haul...and very selective and well thought out lol...I was impressed with your intent!! and with your surrender also. So open minded and open wallet too. Thank god I have to take two ferries and a drive to get to a lys ..so I have to be my own lys don;t really think there is a savings there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Says she who practically forced that alpaca into my arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, a gal after my own heart......a gal with NO willpower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three rounds! You're my hero girl. Oh, and welcome to the dark underworld that is Noro. It's kind of like the Hotel California. Have fun singing that under your breath for the rest of the evening. :)

    ReplyDelete