Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

This is an impromptu post, written without any planning, and in "real time". I'm not planning to edit what I write (well, except for spelling -- Piggy is anal about typos), so it will probably be an unholy mixture of ideas, both serious and silly. Hopefully I'm not about to embarrass myself too much. :-)

Today's a big day. My heart is full. Barack Hussein (I'm so glad -- although not really surprised -- the new president used his full name) Obama was sworn is as the 44th President of the United States. And this evening, when I watched his inauguration speech for the second time (I watched it this morning at work, as well), I became a blithering, blubbering idiot. A glass-half-empty girl whose glass tonight is overflowing.

I'm not a U.S. citizen, so I didn't get a vote, and Mr. Obama is not my new leader, however powerful and influential the person who occupies the White House is the world over.

I am not a member of a visible minority, so while (as someone with more than one functioning brain cell) I can certainly recognize -- and celebrate -- the historic significance of his victory, I cannot honestly say I feel it in the way someone who is not white does. 

Yet I don't think the overwhelming sense of happiness I feel tonight is simply because, as I've joked more than a few times over the last few months, "it'll be a relief to have an American president who can string several words together into a coherent sentence."

There's more to it than that. And it's not just that Piggy thinks the new Prez is pretty hot. Crap -- did I just type that? Yes, yes I did. 

I mean, really...who among us (and I mean everyone on Earth who lived through the last two years -- TWO years, for Pete's sake) doesn't think that just about any American politician (save, of course, Sarah Palin) would be able to communicate better than George W. Bush?

I was happy (and relieved) when Bill Clinton was elected. I liked him, and not just because he was the Democrat contender. But I didn't feel like I do now. (And it has nothing to do with the fact that Bubba ain't hot.) 

Change. Hope. Looking outwards rather than inwards. Doing what is right, rather than what is expedient or easy.

Put simply, if a bit crassly, I'm buying what he's selling.

And he is selling it. I'm looking at a full glass, but I didn't just fall off a turnip truck. But I think he believes it -- and that's the difference.

I wish President Obama the very best, and hope we are patient enough to let him do what is possible for him to do.

4 comments:

  1. You know something Piggy, I couldn't agree with you more!

    I really feel that my new president will do some great things with this country. Some seriously great things. I feel like he could be a miracle-worker, and that's a good thing. America needs a miracle right about now what with all the layoffs going on and the economy being what it is.

    Here's hoping he lives up to both of our expectations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's never anything wrong with hope. Let's see if he can deliver. He has inherited quite a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He surely has delivered a lot of hope and that can't do anything but work for the country and all of us really, so he is already a success no matter where it goes from here, onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been really happy with his first few days in office - the things he's had to say about torture and Guantanamo Bay, the ethics policies for his staff and lobbyists.

    I cried on Inauguration Day and I feel so relieved that we made it through the dark years! I can't even express how optimistic I feel.

    I think watching the news won't be quite as hard as it has been for several years now!

    ReplyDelete