Friday, January 23, 2009

A little sock knitting inspiration...

My friend and co-worker whengaiasmiles (remember when she taught me to felt?) is working on a pair of socks for a friend. She's knitting two at a time, on two sets of dpns; I think I might follow her lead when I start my first pair next month (February 1...eeek, that's soon!). I like the idea of two-at-a-time on one or two long circulars, but I'm comfortable with dpns, and I think socks will be discomfiting enough without throwing in the added novelty of magic loop. At least for now.

Frequently at lunch whengaiasmiles and I will work on a bit of knitting, so I've seen these socks progressing, and am picking up some helpful tips.

The first time I saw the socks, I was witness to the magic of the heel forming:





The next day, stitches were picked up for the gusset...




And the last time I saw them, a foot was starting to materialize:




Updates to come! If you're in Vancouver, check out more of whengaiasmiles's work at Birkeland Brothers Wool on Main Street between 19th and 20th Avenues. She has a wicked-cool Alice in Wonderland-themed display in the window through January.

8 comments:

  1. I believe I saw some of your fine handiwork on the butterflies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so love to see the Alice in Wonderland display, but I don't think there's any way I can get up to CA in the next week. Any chance of a photo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are gorgeous socks! And of course, Piggy, you know I'm glad you're going to knit up some socks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That heel thing?

    Never gets old.

    FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will love it - I know I do. Mrs. Q is right, never gets old - it's just like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! You're a sock knitter!

    Just be sure you unplug your land line, turn off your cell and put a do not disturb sign on your door when you get to the kitchener stitch! Just kidding...sort of.

    That sock is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's a lovely-looking sock...but it isn't mine. :-) It's my friend's. But I'll be starting my first pair next week...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete