Allow me to explain. Sometimes, Piggy knits. And very occasionally, she completes a project, which results in a F(inished) O(bject)...oh, you meant the Nargle part?
Yes. Well. It's a new term for the HPKCHC (seriously, if you aren't on Ravelry yet, you deserve what you get; and if you're a muggle, well...this won't interest you either way), and this is my Arithmancy homework, you see. For a brief primer on the subject, go here. But come back!
The assignment: to create a project using your character, heart and social numbers. Luna's Nargle-Checking Cowl happens to be represented by the same numbers as Piggy (well, by the name on Piggy's birth certificate, actually): 3, 3, 9.
Yes, Piggy tends to lean towards the obsessive about these kinds of things, and entered a ridiculous number of Ravenclaw-friendly possible pattern names that fit those numbers. Anyhoo. Here it is:
yarnpiggy's first "design"!
I chose the gorgeous Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk in Peapod, which, by an amazing coincidence (snort!) has a numeric profile of 3, 3, 9. It was held double throughout, because my recipe dictated some specific numbers.
Here's how it went down:
Using a 16" US 9 circular needle, I cast on 90 stitches (3+3+9 = 15; 1+5 = 6; 6x15 = 90).
Then came 3 rounds of garter stitch.
Next, 3 repeats of Garter and Rib Check (in another amazing coincidence -- double snort! -- also 3, 3, 9), which consists of a 12- (1+2=3) round repeat, for 36 (3+6=9) rounds, so this part of the pattern = 3, 3, 9.
Then I finished it up with another 3 rounds of garter stitch.
Each of the 3 sections of the pattern is represented by the number 3. :-)
It took me two unhurried evenings to knit this, after four failed attempts. No, I didn't make any errors -- nobody could screw up this pattern -- but my Denise Interchangeable needle came apart four times. Piggy is not amused.
Once I switched to a Crystal Palace needle (after a quick visit to an LYS), it was smooth sailing. The CP needle was wonderful to work with -- the points swivelled, which was a revelation to Piggy (it doesn't take much).
I blocked it very lightly, but I probably shouldn't have; I like my cowls on the snuggish side, and it's now a little loose. For non-Arithmantic purposes, I'd likely make a few adjustments: one more repeat of the pattern and drop the needle size down a notch or two.
But overall, I'm pleased. :-)