Wednesday, December 3, 2008

T'is the Season for Christmas Memes

Especially when Piggy has nothing else to blog about, and has rashly decided to stick with nablopomo for the third month running! So here we go...


1. Eggnog or hot chocolate?

I looooooove good hot chocolate, but I can have that any time of the year. So I'm going to have to go with eggnog. What I'd really like to find is a soynog that is tastes as good as the real thing.

2. Does Santa wrap presents, or just sit them under the tree?

He wraps them. D'uh.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

White.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No. (D'uh!)

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Outside lights/decorations: any time from the first of December. Inside decorations/tree: usually middle of December.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

Stuffing. And Rosemary's bread sauce on Boxing Day. Piggy likes her carbs.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

Ummmmm....I don't remember any one thing that stands way out from the rest, to be honest.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I don't really remember; I was about six, I think. 

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Growing up, we did tend to open one on Christmas Eve, but not anymore. Everything gets opened on Christmas morning, after breakfast.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Well, the teeny-tiny one I have for my teeny-tiny apartment is pre-strung with white lights. Then I add a mixture of home-made beaded stars and a collection of small ornaments I've accumulated from craft fairs over the years. It doesn't take many.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?

Love it between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, with the roads clear on the 27th.

12. Can you ice skate?

No. I could when I was a little kid, but I took a bad fall and banged my head on the ice. Ouchy. And pukey. Unfortunately, I didn't get right back up on that horse, and when I tried again -- several years later -- it was as if I'd never been on skates before. I was terrified, and then a kid from my school skating over and laughed and teased me about it. I quit. Haven't tried it again.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I'm not sure there's any one gift in particular that tops the others. But Santa was particularly generous in 1985: I received a set of skis and boots, as well as a season's pass to Expo 86. 

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Family, friends and food.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Probably butter tarts. Lots and lots of runners-up, though. :-) 

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

When I was really little, it was camping out in my sister's bedroom floor (or her on mine), waiting for Christmas morning. We'd wake up our parents as early as we could possibly get away with.

In my teens, it was going over to my friend (and next-door-neighbour) Sheena's house on Christmas Eve for her family's open house. The adults in the living room, the kids in the family room, watching Christmas movies and specials. And lots of great food. We haven't done that for several years now.

Over the last couple of years, it's been Boxing Day with friends. That's not going to happen this year, but maybe again next year or so.

One constant:  Christmas programming on CBC Radio, from Stuart Maclean's great stories about Dave and Morley and family on the Vinyl Cafe, to Fireside Al's readings of Christmas classics on As It Happens, to Max Ferguson's twist on the Dylan standard, A Child's Christmas in Scarborough

My favourite, though, was when As It Happens used to contact members of the Canadian Forces serving abroad on Christmas Eve. The troops would sing carols, and send wishes to their loved ones back home in Canada. 

17. What tops your tree?

My apartment tree: a small star with no sentimental value whatsoever. I keep meaning to make something myself for it, but I haven't managed it yet. This year isn't looking good, either.

The family tree I grew up with: a straw angel.

18.Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?

Well, you can't really win with this one, can you? I mean, if I say giving, nobody's going to believe me, but if I say receiving, Piggy's a greedy...well, pig. So I'm going with both. Which is pretty accurate, anyway. It's always nice to receive a gift when the giver has clearly thought about what you'd like, and it feels good to see a gift you've put effort into be appreciated.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

I'm not religious, but I like the traditional carols most, really: Joy to the World is a nice one.

20. Candy canes! Yuck or yum?

Neither, really. I have maybe one a year. But I do have a strong opinion about one thing: they must be peppermint-flavoured. Cherry/Butterscotch/whatever-flavoured candy canes are just plain wrong.

21. Hypothetically speaking, you have an uncle (or aunt) who is stinking rich. They ask you to give them a wish list for this Christmas with six items on it. You can ask for anything at all, as long as it's only for yourself. What are you going to wish for?

1. a round-the-world airline ticket -- in first class;
2. a generously-loaded Visa card;
3. tuition and cash to keep me housed and clothed for a year to finish my degree;
4. a 1990-92 Volvo 240 converted to run on used veggie oil;
5. an alpaca farm; and
6. yarn, yarn, yarn, and more yarn.

Ok, I'm tagging GirlMeetsNeedle, MrsQuimby, Cedar, Leone, and Chrissy. Plus anyone else who wants to tag themselves!

1 comment:

  1. I'd recommend the soynog from So Nice. It's the closest I could find in texture & taste. The vitasoy one is a lot lighter, but still nice.

    ReplyDelete