Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Piggy's New Year's Knitting Resolutions

It's that time again...

I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions. Well, that's not entirely true; I usually make one or two (almost always the same one or two -- no points for guessing the first one), but they're always vague enough to make it almost impossible to keep them up past the first week or two of January. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Call me crazy, but I've decided to give it another go for 2009; however, this year my list is different. I'm ditching the old standards in favour of a new list of fibre-related resolutions.

In 2009, Piggy will...
  1. Knit every day. Even if just for five minutes. Even when I'm having problems with my current project.

  2. Learn to knit continental-style. Oh, and the Norwegian Purl. I need to catch up to Melly. (Who I taught to knit less than two months ago, remember?)

  3. Knit my first pair of socks. No more excuses.

  4. Introduce completed socks to the Harlot at Sock Summit 2009. ROAD TRIP! Are you going to be there?

  5. Have no more than two projects on the needles at any given time. One small, portable project, and one bigger one. I can't start this one, of course, until I finish enough projects to bring the number down to two. Which of course, won't happen until I find all of them. I'm thinking this isn't the best bet on this list.

  6. Knit a sweater. For an adult.

  7. Start my Christmas knitting in September, rather than late November. On second thought, better make that June. Or to be really safe, February. Hell, I guess I'd better start now. Hopefully some of this term's assignments will be suitable for gift knitting. (Soar, Ravenclaw!)

  8. Knit a lace shawl. Maybe this one. (I'm open to other suggestions; please share them!)

  9. Complete another crochet project. The first one actually went pretty well, despite all my grumbling.

  10. Learn how to spin. Using my drop spindle and spinning wheel (yes, I have been given a free one of each, and haven't spun a darn thing yet).

  11. Go on a yarn diet: no new yarn without a specific project in mind.

  12. Learn to cable without a cable needle. I love cabled knits, and this should make them go so much faster.

  13. Embrace the lifeline. Probably the only way to complete resolution #8.

  14. Try some colour work: Fair Isle, intarsia, whatever.

  15. Lose weight. (I had to throw it in there. Besides, it will help make my inevitable failure at resolution #11 slightly less financially crippling.)

Fingers (and toes) crossed, Piggy will succeed at at least a third of these. Stay tuned!

Are you making any New Year's resolutions? Or have you long-ago resolved not to make any more? Have you succeeded at any of your past resolutions?

I wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2009!

7 comments:

  1. best wishes for all your resolutions! I wish you a healthy and happy 2009!

    socalknitgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled at #11. That would seem to be the hardest one. Glad to see you put in a safety valve for that one.

    Happy New Year, dear YarnPiggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you will have fun at least trying to achieve these resolutions. I believe in you and you can't let yer fans down!

    Signed,
    Your Biggest Fan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can tackle those resolutions! :)

    Well, most of them. Not sure about #11 though. That's why I didn't put it down in mine. I know I couldn't!

    Anyway, hope your 2009 is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I resolve to have no resolutions, but I admire yours. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still planning my resolutions - the only ones I have down right now are my reading goals! The more specific my goals are, the more likely I am to achieve them - provided I actually want to, which leaves out #11 on your list!

    I'm impressed with your list, and I probably need to get on board with some of them, particularly about Christmas knitting and only having 2 projects going at a time! I would also have to track them all down and actually finish projects to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Resolutions, so organized, so focused. I think that I am more suited to a life a leisure as well, but alas, lack that whole oodles of riches thing. So, I am working, and somehow forgot that I wanted to do goals and be all organized and focused. Maybe I will get there after I catch up from last year! I like your list and may use it for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete