Monday, November 24, 2008

TGFM (Thank God for Memes)

Girl Meets Needle has totally saved Piggy's bacon -- again. For the second time this month, I've been tagged to complete a meme. So here goes...

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?

I'm going to have to go with Malabrigo Worsted. It's lusciously soft, and comes in fantastic colours. I'm not sure it's my favourite overall -- the pilling isn't ideal -- but in terms of the actual knitting, it's tops.

Your favorite needles?

Addi Turbos. 

The worst thing you've ever knit?

Ummm...well, I started to knit a cabled afghan for my friend's wedding. I thought a hand-made present would be so much more meaningful than something off their registry. 

Not this afghan, however. The pattern was from a Leisure Arts booklet; I can't remember the name. It was done on big needles (12mm/US 17), with two strands of green Bernat Satin held double. 

At the time I bought the pattern and the yarn, I had recently finished Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter, and I laughed that I wouldn't be like the Harlot, who set out to knit a green afghan as a wedding present for her brother's wedding, failed to complete it on time, and instead gifted the happy couple with a blender or something like that.

Well, of course the joke was on me. As I should have known. I was not only a new knitter, but also a procrastinator of the first order. Seriously, I could -- and can to this day -- procrastinate for Canada. Anyhoo. The whole thing was a disaster. Of course I fell behind schedule, but that wasn't the real problem. The real problem was the bloody thing didn't look anything like the picture, despite my gauge being bang-on. It got frogged.

Bottom-line: I did give the happy couple a hand-made gift: a very nice vase with a crystalline glaze. Made by my father.

Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)

I think the most satisfying knit I've done so far was the Smariek's 3 a.m. Cable Hat, which I knit as a Christmas gift for the bride in the above answer! Not a complicated project, but it was my second attempt at cables, and turned out rather well. Although, come to think of it, I've never seen the recipient wear it...

Most valuable knitting technique?

Well, I'm still pretty much a novice knitter, so I don't really know too many fancy-pants techniques. But I think I've figured out mattress stitch (like, yesterday), which should prove helpful.

Best knit book or magazine?

I don't like this question. I suspect I feel like a mother who has just been asked to name her favourite child, or a chef asked to pick just one herb to use for the rest of his professional life. At least book-wise. But if pressed, I suppose I'd have to go with Knitting Rules! by the Harlot. It's a pretty good balance of useful information and enjoyable prose.

Magazine: Interweave Knits.  

Your favorite knit-a-long?

CoughI've never done one.Cough.

Your favorite knitblogs?

Look to your right, and down a bit. I love all of those. For a start.

Your favorite knitwear designer?

Hmmm...again, this is a hard one. Can I pick someone whose designs I've yet to knit? If so, I'll go with Ysolda Teague. I've purchased Gretel, but that was for a swap partner; I've looked it over, but would need to buy it again for myself. I also adore Vivian, Coraline, Matilda Jane and Snow White. Oh, and Verity. And those Rapunzel Stockings are lovely. The toys are sweet, too. So, just about everything, really.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)

I haven't kept anything I've knit to wear; they've all been gifts. I have kept the Luna Lovegood scarf, but it's crocheted...I'll give you the pic, anyway:




Ok, so...I'm tagging Beentsy, MrsQuimby, Plae, BrendaYarn Sprout, and LupinGirl. Self-tagging is also encouraged. :-)

3 comments:

  1. That's a really good meme, I will try to do it eventually. Believe it or not, I have all my posts planned and several even written for the rest of NaBloPoMo. Busy week so I had to get organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the better meme's I've saw so far.

    I know that procrastinator thing too well. We can stitch faster in our minds than we can with our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scarf. Very nice. And we won't be talking about any of MY knitting disasters, thank you very much.

    I just saw that you have my blog on your "worth it" list. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete