Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Piggy wants a vote

Today is a big day. And not just for our neighbours to the south, either.

That's nothing new, of course; the decisions made be "the leader of the free world", as Americans like to describe their president, have an impact on people everywhere. And, therefore, people everywhere are invested, to some degree, in the outcome of U.S. presidential elections.

I'm a political junkie, and have followed these contests with interest since before I had boobs (that would be Mondale vs Reagan, 1984). I've always picked my candidate (yes, always the Democrat), and followed the debates and news coverage throughout the campaign, and spent the evening of the first Tuesday in November ever Leap Year in front of the box watching the results come in. 

But I'm feeling even more interested than usual this go around.

This is the first election cycle (see, I even have the jargon down) where I have been envious of American voters, and wish we had what they had.

Don't misunderstand me; I'm as proud a Canadian as they come. (Which is a lot less proud than Americans are expected to be of their country. And for that, I'm grateful.) I wouldn't want a system in which candidates actively campaign for two years before election day, and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on their bids for the top job. 

I don't think it is important to know about what the candidates' spouses put in their chocolate chip cookie recipe, or their positions on economic, foreign or social policies; I'd rather not hear from them at all, quite frankly -- I'm sure they're lovely people, but I'm not electing them.

I could go on. But I won't, because this is a knitting blog. And yes, there is knitting content coming. In the very next paragraph, even.

I'm envious of the fact that Americans have someone to vote for who inspires this:




I've pinched this image from Laura Birek -- aka iwriteplays -- the author of Picture Perfect Knits. She is offering the pattern for this sweater -- the "Obama-rama" -- free on her blog, Nocturnal Knits.  (It's also available as a free Ravelry download.)

This is just one example. Check out The Obama Craft Project

I've checked, and as far as I can tell, no-one has designed a Sweater Steve hat, yarmulke or sweater. Ditto for the rest of Canada's federal party leaders. Big surprise, eh?

I've never knit a sweater, or tried intarsia knitting, let alone an intarsia sweater. But I'd really, really, really like to find a politician that would inspire me to try.

One that I am eligible to vote for.

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting to hear someone's opinion who lives outside of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this election is historical in more ways than one. I can't remember this kind of powerful energy for any candidate since I was a child.

    Thanks for sharing a northern neighbor's viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!
    I would SHUDDER at the thought of dear Stevie on a sweater, ugh!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that would be one ugly sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic sweater! Depending on the outcome I may have to make one for inauguration day....

    Just as an aside - I was 6 when Reagan was elected, and I cried. I cried again when W. was (s)elected - I really think my heart broke over that one. Right now I'm just so nervous I don't know what to do with myself!

    Thanks for the moral support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, this election seems to be causing a lot more strong emotions than most!

    It's almost too easy to get caught up in it. I mean, I've never been all that wound up in politics before, but this time, this one time I really, really want my guy to win. I think it's because he inspires such faith in me! I really do believe that he has what it takes!

    It's great to hear someone talk about our system of voting outside of the US because it really helps put it in perspective that in some aspects, America's a lucky country!

    And the Obama craft stuff...that's quite, quite amusing. I want Obama as President, and yes, I am willing to place my trust in his hands but knit an intarsia sweater featuring his mug? I don't have the strength!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sing it, sister.

    Or knit it. Whatever. You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Thanks for the links for the Obama sweater - I'm gonna make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rockin' Obama sweater!! I would totally buy that... don't think I'm a talented enough knitter for weaving a multi-colored picture! My most complicated project has been mittens in the round (4 needles). (I found you through NaBlo...) Anitra www.iloveakiwi.com

    ReplyDelete