Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Losing a friend

Late this afternoon I received an email with some very sad news. My friends' dog Brodie, who I often looked after while they travelled, was euthanized on Monday. 

I loved Brodie like she was my own dog. She was a bit of a naughty sausage, but full of personality. She was always happy to see me, and liked to hold hands: she'd lie on the floor beside my chair and stick a front paw up in the air for me to hold. When I let go, she'd be very pushy about having me hold it again. 

Brodie had an operation a couple of months ago, and although she recovered well and appeared to go back to her normal happy self, we knew it wouldn't be very long before she got sick again. My friends decided then not to take "heroic" measures when the time came, so when Brodie took a very sudden turn on Monday, she was taken right away to the vet, who mercifully put her to sleep. 

I'm a little sad that I didn't have a chance to say goodbye to her, but at the same time, I'm happy that the last time I saw her she was running around the house playing with Ebony, the family's new puppy, and looking great.

Here are a few pictures of Brodie taken in August. 










Goodbye, Brodie Bear.

6 comments:

  1. so sorry. The four-footed people never stay long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friends did the most humane thing. It is a very unselfish act to do what is better for the animal rather than for yourself.

    Sorry you lost a friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no it is always sad tolose a good friend

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

    It is always so hard to have to say goodbye to the furry ones in our lives. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete