Wednesday, October 29, 2008

When all else fails, read the instructions

Right. Well. I had thought about just posting a random pretty picture and calling it a day's blog entry, but I figure I should be sharing the bad as well as the good. So here is where I admit something rather embarrassing.

As I mentioned briefly in yesterday's post, I cast on for a cowl with my freshly brewed sock yarn. I knit a few rows, discovered I had made an error somewhere and had the wrong number of stitches, tried to tink back to a place where things were working, then frogged it. I'm a terrible tinker, especially when knitting in the round, and just couldn't figure out how to fix it. 

So, keeping in mind all those lessons we learn growing up -- "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again", "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can", "Never, never, never quit", etc. -- I took a deep breath, and cast on again. 

A few rows later...rip it, rip it, rip it, baby. 

I decided to put it away for the night; I'd live to fight another day.

Cut to this morning. A grey, overcast sky threatening rain. A perfectly appropriate setting for the day's knitting.

I actually put off picking the thing up again. I managed to waste the whole day (remember: Piggy's currently unemployed; telling this story is probably not the best way to impress potential employers with my razor-sharp intellect, but I digress) doing I'm not sure what before casting on yet again at about 5 p.m.

I'll give you three guesses what happened next. The first two don't count.

Times that by two. (That's four frogs, if you're having trouble keeping track.)

If you know me personally, or have read the Piggy Hot 100, you can no doubt guess that this sort of situation tends to bring into play a few of my less attractive personality traits. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

So at this point, I go back to Ravelry, to see if anyone else has had a problem with the pattern, or if there are errata.

Well, no-one else had had a problem with the Good Luck Cowl (Yes, that is its name. No, the humour in that hadn't escaped me.), and there were no reported errors in the "Simple Shetland Lace pattern".

Much cursing ensued. (Hopefully, the young ears of those upstairs have failed to retain some of the juicier phrases fired from Piggy's potty mouth.)

Then, as an afterthought, I actually read the pattern. Carefully. And thought about it. How that yarn over at the end of Row 2 might actually be important. It might even have an effect on the number of stitches to knit in Row 3. 

Ooops. 

I'll be casting on the Good Luck Cowl again tomorrow. It really is a beautiful pattern.

Oh, and here is that random pretty picture.


That's the view from the stern of the Queen of Surrey a few minutes before docking in Gibsons, B.C.

2 comments:

  1. not that embarassing..i can totally relate on more than one occasion

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I think we have all done that before :-)

    ReplyDelete