Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vote (early -- and often)

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I’ve signed up at NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and have committed to post every day in October. The theme for the month is Vote.

I do not have a game plan for the month’s posts. There really aren’t any rules I must follow, and let’s face it, I could procrastinate for Canada. I’d love to promise essays filled with trenchant analysis and informative commentary. But I’m not going to. That is my “campaign” promise: no real promises.

Full disclosure: I’m a political junkie, and my politics are left-of-centre. I’m going to try to maintain a fairly light tone, but I can’t commit to being non-partisan. Ok, on with the show…

For the month’s first post, let’s start with the basics. Like the fundamental problem (as I and many, many others see it, anyway) with Canada’s electoral system. Hey, I said basic, I didn’t say simple.

But I also said light. So here’s a gentle introduction to the issue, from “Doctor” Don Ferguson, of the Royal Canadian Air Farce and Fair Vote Canada.



More on this later…but to end on a serious note, check out this CBC News clip from 1997. I think it’s a great reminder on why voting – whatever system your country uses or if you think your one vote doesn’t matter – is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment