Thursday, October 2, 2008

Piggy needs a PVR

Because there is just too much drama to choose from on tonight’s television schedule, and my rickety old VCR might not be able to handle it.

It could be worse: my guilty pleasure, Grey’s Anatomy (I know, I know) won’t be on tonight. Good thing, because both the English-language Canadian leaders debate (the French one ran last night) and the U.S. Vice Presidential debate are airing at the same time.

Seriously? (Pun intended.) Who came up with that idea?

Because I’m betting there will be an awful lot of Canucks who will be giving Harper, Dion, Layton, May and Duceppe a miss in favour of Palin and Biden. I have to say, I’m tempted.

Let’s face facts: which one would you put your money on in terms of pure entertainment value? Five Canadian politicians debating issues, or the potential train wreck that is Sarah Palin answering serious questions about policy? I mean, this is a woman (a woman with a journalism degree, no less) who couldn’t name a single newspaper when asked by Katie Couric what she reads.



And I’m not buying the “she was nervous” argument. She should have been able to think on her feet enough to come up with a few names, whether she actually reads them or not. If Katie Couric makes you nervous, Gov. Palin, you really don’t have any business being this close to the Oval Office.

My plan is to watch the Canadian debate – followed by The National’s At Issue panel, and, I’m sure, some classic pontification from Rex Murphy – and tape the VP debate. I wish I could say this was because I’m so interested in what Harper, Dion, Layton, May and Duceppe have to say about the future of my country.

But really, I’m not sure my VCR could handle all the fast-forwarding I would put it through if I taped their performances. And right or wrong, it’s human nature to keep your eyes peeled on a train wreck.

1 comment:

  1. WooHOO!! Another political knitter!!! Today I posted twice, and both were musical. The first post was about knitting. The second post featured the Canadan singer-songwriter Luke Doucet singing "I Wish I Was American". It amazes me and humbles me how informed people outside of our borders are of our affairs. But we have a big and heavy footprint. Please know that I will be voting, and I take my vote VERY seriously.

    Now, having said that, I will also say that part of the reason I will be tuning into the Veep Debate this evening is because I'm interested in the issues. I also want to see how well BOTH of these hotwire folk will perform under pressure. Biden is famous for his gaffs, too, sadly; I'll be on tenterhooks on his behalf. But this Palin situation, lordy! (How she can be so poised one moment and so flustered another is dangerously close to discrediting all women in powerful offices. I am outraged about that. She needs to learn that it's ok to say, "I don't know.") My final but perhaps biggest reason for looking so keenly forward to seeing this debate is very selfish. Saturday Night Live is a comedy variety show on NBC, and we have now been promised weekly installments of Tina Fey impersonating Sarah Palin. She's a dead ringer, and absolutely hilarious! This weekend's installment ought to be a deusey. I figure, if I watch tonight, I'll have a good idea about what I'll see Saturday night. >grinz mischievously<

    ReplyDelete