Friday, October 10, 2008

Down to the wire...

"Hello Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland..."

Time is running out for you to vote in what I've called the fall's third election: the Hockey Night in Canada Anthem Challenge. The polls close tonight at 11:59 p.m. EST.

The two finalists were announced during the special double-header on Wednesday. (I'd like to point out here that my two favourite teams, the Leafs and the Canucks, both won.)

I was pleased to discover that my favourite anthem of the five semi-finalists made it to the final two: Sticks to the Ice, entered by 13-year-old Robert Fraser Burke of Toronto. And I was a tad surprised that his competition in the final is Canadian Gold, by elementary school music teacher Colin Oberst of Beaumont, Alberta.

Have a wee listen to the finalists:

Anthem #1: Canadian Gold




Anthem #2: Sticks to the Ice



So, get out there and vote, people! I've already done my part, several times over (you're allowed to vote more than once). We'll see the winner on Saturday's edition of Hockey Night in Canada.

Oh, and don't forget my little comment contest, which also ends tonight. See Wednesday's post for that. :-)

1 comment: