Monday, October 27, 2008

250+ steps...

...that felt like a bazillion. I climbed them this morning. And that is a conservative number, I reckon.

My friend and Mel and I went for a walk today. Mel has been pestering encouraging me to exercise for ages and ages (and ages). And, now that we are both unemployed, my standard excuse of "no time" is no longer cutting the mustard. 

Yep. I'm unemployed. As is poor Mel, who I recruited to the company that is, since last Thursday, no longer. Anyhoo. Suffice it to say (for now, anyway -- I suspect I'll be revisiting the subject again) that I have much more time on my hands than I did this time last week. 

So today, we walked. 

I should point out here, for those who have not met me, that Piggy is a, well, let's not mince words, here, eh? Piggy is a big girl. Too big. And, as is often (but not always -- no mail, please) the case with big girls, Piggy is not in great shape. Or any shape, really, other than round.

Right. So, off we went to Lynn Canyon Park. And fortunately for us, the weather was conducive to a lovely walk in the woods. It really was a gorgeous fall morning: the sky was blue, the air was crisp, and the sun was shining. 


(No worries there, mate. Piggy doesn't go fast.)

Mel and I sauntered down the trail gossiping discussing the important issues of the day, such as the socio-political ramifications of the Smurfs (no joke), and along the way we saw all sorts of beautiful and interesting things.

Things like furry trees:


And mushrooms that look like nipples:


Everything was going swimmingly. The flat trail was even giving way to a gentle downward slope. I was beginning to reconsider my long-standing aversion to exercise, when it all went pear-shaped.


Those weren't too bad. We even did the little loop again, so we did them twice. Heavy breathing -- of a decidedly unenjoyable nature -- ensued, but Piggy survived.

Then we decided to cross the suspension bridge and keep going for a bit. We were rewarded with more beautiful scenes...



(Wouldn't the colour of the water be perfect for a shawl? Or sweater? Socks? Or just about anything, really?)


And...more stairs. Many more stairs.

(That's itty-bitty Mel on the stairs, not me. Obviously.)

Breath-taking, they were. Quite literally, in my case. (Mel might as well have been climbing up a step stool.)

But you know what? It felt pretty great. Thank you, Melly.

When I got home, I removed my yarn from the coffee pot, squeezed out the excess java, and rinsed it thoroughly, until the water ran clear (very quickly, I'm surprised to say, with no lightening to the yarn).

Then, because I couldn't quite believe the dye was colourfast, I gave the yarn a wee bath in Eucalan. No loss of colour! So the only thing left to do was to kick it outside to dry in the sun:


It's now finishing its drying inside. Tomorrow I'll need to find something to knit with it. Something quick. I'm thinking of doubling it up (it's sock yarn) for a cowl. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a good time, even if it was exercise! I really like the pictures, wonder what fiber one would use to get that shimmer of the water? Silk? or Tencel?
    The coffee yarn turned out yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO GLAD I'm not the only person that sees the world in terms of possible colourways for sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place for walking. And I love the color of the coffee yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Smurfette was sent to tempt the boy Smurfs into danger, Adam and Eve anyone? Gargamel = God? We need another date to discuss. I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the fun exercise.. and the yarn is just sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all those pics. They look great! I'm tired just from the story of exercise!

    My mom and I go to the endowment lands in UBC sometimes - I love walking in the woods. It makes it seem less like exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures and the yarn looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete