Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Knitting can change your life

There hasn’t been a whole lot of my knitting on this blog. Plenty about yarn, certainly. And even a bit of crochet. But no actual evidence of real knitting since the completion of my Ravelympic medal-winning bit of stuffed pig.

So, just to prove that I do actually knit, and not just shop for embryonic knits, I give you the result of my bus trip into work this morning.


What, no applause?

No worries. I understand the underwhelment. (Like that new word? Not as good as my earlier frinking, which I’m thinking of trademarking, but I’m going with it anyway.)

This is the beginning of an Afghan square for a swap-bot swap. Nothing to write home about, really. Except that the knitting of this nascent square is a prime example of an “interstitial-time activity”. And that is a good thing, especially for people with anyone with a desire to be creative, such as writers, bloggers, and the like.

According to Oliver Burkeman’s column in Saturday’s Guardian, entitled “This column will change your life”, anyways.

Intersitial time, Burkeman explains, is a phrase coined by Merlin Mann – who blogs at 43folders.com – to describe the little blocks of time we have during our day when we aren’t really doing much, the “small chunks of minutes spent waiting at the doctor’s surgery, or for someone who’s late or for a meeting postponed at short notice.”

“It feels like time wasted,” Burkeman continues, “but it needn’t be. The poet William Carlos Williams, for example, wrote much of his oeuvre on the backs of prescription pads during gaps in his workday as a pediatrician.”

Knitters are cited as figures to be emulated (not exactly a newsflash, if you ask me, but I digress):
Take inspiration from knitters, Mann suggests. Knitting fulfills the three criteria of good interstitial-time activity: it’s portable, it can be done amid distractions, and even a few seconds spent on it contributes to the end result…Identify in advance which of your tasks fit the knitting criteria: those involving reading and (hand)writing are a good place to start. Or take up knitting.
So I guess now would be a good time to start my great Canadian novel…

1 comment:

  1. well, we as knitters already knew we were the smart ones~ but it's nice to be validated eh?

    ReplyDelete