Monday, September 15, 2008

I've moved to the dark side...

No, I haven't decided to knit a drawer full of blue sweaters (see previous post). I've acquired a new toy:

This is my new-to-me spinning wheel, an Ashford Traveller of an as yet undetermined vintage. I picked her up yesterday in Roberts Creek. Price: free!

It turns out she was previously owned by my mum, who also received her as a gift. She, in turn, gifted it to another woman in the Sunshine Coast Spinners & Weavers Guild when she received her current wheel -- also for free -- people seem to like my mum! So now the wheel has come almost full circle.

Here she is side-by-side with my mother's wheel, another Ashford. We're not sure which model this one is...anyone out there know?

As you can see from this close-up of some -- yes, just some -- of the bobbins that came with her, my new toy includes a nice variety of bits and pieces collected along the way. She's been around the block a few times.

Now I just have to learn how to spin! I've never done it before, and I must say, I am a bit concerned that I will be utterly useless at it. But I'll give 'er a go. :-)

I think I'll start with that drop spindle first, though.

I've discovered that some people name their wheel(s). Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. She's/he's lovely! Congratulations.

    I did name my wheel when I got her, Isabel, or Dizzy Izzy when she spins. In hindsight, I wish I'd named her Alice. Oh well. Have to get another wheel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! How beautiful!! I wish I could learn how to spin, but spinning is unheard of here in the lovely tropical country of Costa Rica.

    I'm sorry to say I lack imagination when it comes to naming things. :( I suck. Lol.

    Oh, and thanks for the comment. Comments make me very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you!
    that's a beautiful wheel and how great with the story around it!
    I'd love to learn to spin too, and I have an old wheel, but it needs some repair... Both my mum and grandmother know how to spin, so I guess it's just the time to do it that's missing ;)

    ReplyDelete