Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Five Fibre-Full Days

I returned home from the Gibsons Landing Fibre Arts Festival, yesterday. I'm already looking forward to next year.

In addition to the two socks on one circular workshop, I did a wee bit o' shopping in the Merchant Mall, which was packed full of the most beautiful riot of colourful fibre. No, really: I was very restrained.

First stop: Unwind Yarn & Gems, owned by the bubbly khetala. She was joined by fellow ravellers Caliope and spazzyknitty. I had a hard time choosing among all the luscious colourways, but ended up with these two beauties:

That's "Bottom of the Toybox" Shiraz Sock at the bottom (supposedly a "mistake" colourway; I wish all my mistakes were as lovley) and "Deep Sea Follies" Chianti Lace above. I chose the laceweight with the intention of using it for an upcoming swap, but I'm not really sure I'm willing to part with it.

Next, I hit up Fun Knits, whose booth was brimming with all sorts of beautiful things. But the fastest-moving item was surely the Malabrigo sock yarn. Yes, I said Malabrigo sock yarn. This little number made the trip home with me:

Isn't it gorgeous? My fellow ravellers beentsy, whengaiasmiles and megknitficent each brought home multiples of this. And why not? It is heavenly soft, and the colours! Bestill my heart. And if that weren't enough, they were mis-tagged, at $3 less than they were supposed to be. So why did I buy just the one skein? Because I'm an idiot, that's why. I have no idea what I was thinking.

That's it. I bought just three skeins of yarn.

I was, however, gifted with another wee bit o' fibre:


This is a terrible photo of a beautiful top knot from Erynn at Twist of Fate Yarns. For my three non-knitting readers (you guys still there?), this is not for knitting. At least not yet. Which means I am borrowing two additional items from my mother:


Oh dear. I've a feeling we aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto.

On Saturday, I cruised into the "New to You" tent down by the water in Gibsons Landing, which also played host to the Artisan Market; live music; and spinning, knitting and weaving demonstrations and give-it-a-gos. Here I picked up a few vintage pattern books.

I love the old-school kid's sweaters and dresses in this; not sure I'll actually get around to knitting them, but there is something nice about having the book in my ginormous, out-of-control pile of patterns scattered willy-nilly about the apartment treasured collection. Plus, the wiener dogs are pretty cute.

Love the little girl's cardigan here. Cables are so satisfying -- they look so complicated, yet are nowhere near as difficult as people -- especially the Muggles -- imagine. They make you look far more talented than you probably are. Well, they certainly do in my case, anyway.

The dress, on the other hand, is not something I will be attempting. Ever.

This one is full of super-cheesy, over-the-top sweaters. But I do like the one pictured on the back cover, which I think will be nice for my little nieces, who are about to move to the U.K.

They need to remember their roots. Fortunately for me (and them!), my mother thinks so too. I am more than willing to lend her the pattern so she can knit them up for the rug rats.

I spent the rest of the weekend in the bandstand (an especially great position on Sunday, as the rain came down in buckets), where I tried my hand at Saori Weaving (Must. Not. Start. Another. Craft.), and attempted to teach newbies to knit, which was great but exhausting. I have a renewed respect for teachers.

The best part of the festival, though, was just being around other fibre freaks, be they knitters, spinners, weavers, quilters, rug hookers, dyers or woodworkers. People who don't bat an eye when I squeal with delight at the softness of camel yarn or a particular combination of colours. People who don't think devoting one quarter of my (very tiny) living space to yarn is insane.

My people.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO jealous! I will definitely have to go next year. Some lovely treasures - good score!

    ReplyDelete